New
Find
Notify
Tools

.454 Casull bullets jumping the crimp
 Login/Join

<Greg-montana>
posted
A buddy of mine is having trouble with reloads for his .454 Casull. The waiting bullets are moving under recoil. Loads are supposed to be in the normal range, and the cases are crimped into the cannulure, but they are still moving. He is going to try moving the bullet out to where the crimp grabs the very first part of the cannulure to prevent it getting a run, no matter how small. Is there anything else he can do? I reload .44 Mag, but have never experienced this problem, even in hot loads. Suggestions?

<heavy varmint>
posted
Try seating and crimping in separate operations so you can get more crimp on the bullet without crushing the case.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Is he using 45 colt, or 454 dies? In addition to a firm crimp, the thumpin pistols need a well sized, ie tight case. I have been very pleased with hornadies 4 die 480/475 dies. I haven't had a hint of bullet jump, even with the 435 gr bullets, though I haven't really pushed any of them either.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
Greg, Try a Lee Factory crimp die. I use one when I load my 454 Casull and I have never had a bullet jump the crimp since using this die.

<Greg-montana>
posted
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm pretty sure he's using the correct dies and probably seats and crimps at the same time. I'll take these ideas and see if we can't get him straightened out.

Mitch - is that Lee die a taper crimp or a roll crimp?

Greg

[This message has been edited by Greg-montana (edited 10-03-2001).]

<redleg155>
posted
You can also turn off about .002 inch from the expander which will give the case more grip on the bullet. You should be able to see the grease grooves' outline in the brass with the bullet seated.

redleg

<Mitch>
posted
Greg,it is a roll crimp die. If you have ever seen factory ammo that was made by Freedom arms this die will make that kind of crimp. I have never heard of Freedom arms factory ammo jumping the crimp.

<sed1945>
posted
I use the Lee Factory crimp die on my 454 loads never had one jump.

<mike357>
posted
ive loaded alot of .454 with lee dies and seated and crimped at same time with no problems,other than wasting a couple of cases. what i do is back my expander die up till the bullet will just barely set in case, then i run my crimp die down till it buckles the case then back off until it just almost buckles but doesnt. when im through you can see the outline of the bullet in the case. i have loaded some very hot rounds this way and never had a problem.