New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Cheap" bullets...fmj?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is a reasonably accurate cheap .308 bullet?

I need a bunch of 308 bullets for targets, plinking. I will be shooting in a few 1903 springfields, a 1917 enfield, a couple 308 wins, and a 30-30 marlin.

I know the 30-30 is a special case, no pointy bullets, ok I have some flat nose...

For my 30-06's, I want something to shoot a bunch of for little money. I see there are a few 147 grain fmj's out there. The only ones I tried were pulled, and accuracy was not acceptable. Are the new manufacture better? Is one brand better than the others?

What about Speer's 100 grain plinkers? Accurate at 100 yards, at 30-06 velocities?

Any other suggestions?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what grain you looking for?

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oops didn't see the 100grainers.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't care what grain. the fmj's I see are 147-150, same as M2 ball, which shoots fine for me.

My last batch of cheap bullets were a few hundred 180 grain round nose I got for free.

I'm flexible if they are cheap.

Forgot, I'll also be using them in 7.5x55 swiss (K-31) and 7.5x54 (mas 36.)

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i might got some for you, old bullets i think 110gr and maybe more. my reloading equipment is at a different location.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would cast bullets with gas checks work? They're usually cheaper than jacketed bullets. You might try berry's preffered bullets too. Just my 2cents.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vip:
Would cast bullets with gas checks work? They're usually cheaper than jacketed bullets. You might try berry's preffered bullets too. Just my 2cents.

I cast my own bullets, and damn I save some real $$$!!!Use wheel weights and you can push them near 2k fps as long as there gas checked

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 plinkiing...man, not my shoulder...Smiler

Posts: 62 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida, USA | Registered: 23 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
What is a reasonably accurate cheap .308 bullet?
...Are the new manufacture better? Is one brand better than the others?...
Hey Jason, One of my buddies ordered what he thought was 1000 Cartridges from "Widener's", but got 147gr FMJ Bullets made by FN-FAL. He was too embarrassed to send them back, because he gave them the wrong Part #. So, he gave them to me.

I've shot a bunch of them and they are the most accurate FMJs I've ever shot. When you look at them, you can see their Quality is higher than the Rem or Wins I've used. No twisted jackets, no lead smears at the base, and no deformed tips - so far.

They are not Match Grade, nor do they shoot as well as some Standard Grade Bullets, but they seem to average 1.5" or so for me. Some groups a bit larger and some a bit smaller, but 1.5" is about the norm.

No idea at all what they sell for now. When they run out, I'm not sure what I'll try to replace them.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that gives me something to look for, and also tells me the Rem and Win are like the ones I tried.

Anybody tried the Hornady fmj's? I guess they're cheap enough to try and report back.

Jason