New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Tips and tricks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a funny one... because as most have already said, reloading can send you into the poor house

There are alot of different kinds of shooting no doubt. A IPSC shooter will have different wants than say a a handgun hunter after big game, and a plinker may have different wants than say a rifleman wanting to load for a safari. God help you if you have a varmit rifle

On a rifle say like a 270 I shoot no more than 2 types of bullets... say a Nosler partition and a ordinary Hornady. I will load no more than 200 at a time on a cartridge like a 270. I buy my bullets in bulk but it is not wise to load 1000-2000 270s. This is because as your rifle gets older (more rounds) *things* tend to move, and you may not like the accuracy of the next 500 rounds, whereas it may have been corrected through a different spec. I dont mind playing with diff bullets, but having a standard is nice and will save you time and money. I have NO clue as to how much others load in numbers? In my Hornets I have loaded a 1000 at a time and in my pistols for the most part I load 500 or 1000 at a time.
There are endless special...lubes, dies, magic dusts, special primers for sundays, widgets (inaccurate ones at that), pads, ropes, tabs, books, headspacers, crooked ammo detectors, bullet ticklers, static disapators, magic bullet butters, and stuff... I think I have all of them but I lost the one that finaly worked. If your rifle aint *strait* to begin with, it can be frustrating. A strait rifle will shoot most reasonable loads well, and many, exceptionaly well.

what are you loading for?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy Lee products. They work and are cheap. The hand press kit with the primer seater and a set of dies will get you started. It is not fast but you can get started making safe loads that function.

Once you advance, surplus powder will save you lots of money.

If you want to shoot cheap, get a surplus 8mm and buy Turk ammo. About the same price as good 22 shells.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've found that as I've gotten into bullet casting, buying cheap bulk "blem" and closeout/discontinued jacketed bullets and surplus powders (which you need to buy in big quantities to make the hazmat fee worthwhile) that I'm spending way more lately on shooting supplies and equipment than ever! But I'm shooting a lot more, too, and I'm stocked up with enough stuff to keep me making noise on the range for a long while. My wife's fussed a little, but not much. She knows I'm out of trouble and out of her hair if I'm in the loading room or on the range.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not really a money saver, but helpful to all those with excessive brass disorder. Before you conclude your case (ahem) is terminal go buy those semi-rigid food Glad containers to store brass. They stack perfectly and are cheap. I'm merging them into my chaos during spare time.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote