THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: .284 Winchester: barrel lengtth vs. velocity?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .284 Winchester: barrel lengtth vs. velocity?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All good answers, but you won't really know until you chronograph the load in your own rifle, I'm afraid. There are slow and fast barrels, etc, that come into this equation and make a large difference to the outcome. My 284 has a 23" barrel, and will push 140 gr bullets over 3000 fps, but it can vary a great deal from gun to gun. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
savage 99
Quote:

20 to 25 fps is more like it

Too bad the search is down......there's some really good stuff posted out there about this very subject and the above comment is in line with that finding.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan makes a good point as the barrel length change is predictable.

I have a Brno 21h in 7X57 with the 20.5" barrel. The MV over the Oehler 35P is 2600 fps with 139 gr SST's and 50 grs of IMR 4350! The Nosler book shows 2820 fps with a 140 and 49 grs in a 22" Sammi barrel. One thing is that my chamber is rather "large".

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote