New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger .44 Carbine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi. Wondering if one needs to worry about higher end loads in one of the original Ruger Carbines, specifically in reference to the semi-auto action. Is there any danger of damaging the action with a high energy round? For example (IIRC) my Marlin Mod.60 is not supposed to be run with the high velocity rounds.

thanks.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your Ruger Carbine should digest any .44 Mag. ammo , that meets saami specs . As for your Model 60 , HV ammo should pose no problems for that gun . It's a good idea to keep a spare buffer on hand for the Mod. 60 . Probably half the mod. 60s out there have buffers that are damaged to some degree . They all break eventually !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger Model 100 .44 carbine years ago. Bought it used. It had an annoying habit of misfiring- going "click" when it shoulda gone "bang". Reloads or factory, it didn't seem to matter. Took it to the local "gunsmith", who kept it for about six months, and then charged me a bunch of $$$ for "fixing" it. Got it home- had the same problem.

In desperation, I took it apart, and found the whole bolt packed full of little metal discs from where the primers had been blown out and had passed between the firing pin and the hole it rides in. Seems as though the previous owner belived in some seriously stout .44 loads!

Cleaned all the metal residue out. Function was 100% after that. Didn't seem to hurt anything.

Sold it years later to make tuition while in A&P school, and have missed it ever since.

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bromley:
Your Ruger Carbine should digest any .44 Mag. ammo , that meets saami specs . As for your Model 60 , HV ammo should pose no problems for that gun . It's a good idea to keep a spare buffer on hand for the Mod. 60 . Probably half the mod. 60s out there have buffers that are damaged to some degree . They all break eventually !

Sounds like I have nothing to worry about. Thanks for the suggestion for the Mod.60.

Thanks.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman's manual used to advise against anything but jacketed bullets in the Ruger Deerslayer carbine FWIW.

They thought that lead bullets would block the gas hole in the barrel.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote