THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use sierra 90grn Varminters in 270 win?
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone give me some feedback in relation to accuracy in their rifle, how destructive they would be on medium game animals and general feed back in relation to loads.

Thanks

Posts: 69 | Location: Sydney | Registered: 14 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Well, I wore out the barrel of a Remington in .270 Win shooting many pounds of these bullets, so I guess I can comment from experience.

The Sierra 90gr varmint bullet was by far the most acccurate one in that rifle and I tried every brand I could find.

If by "medium game animals" you mean coyotes or foxes then I can say that they are a great choice if you don't want to sell the pelts. Mucho destruction. I can say that the result on groundhogs is quite dramatic too.

I hope that you don't mean deer -- these are real varmint bullets which are designed to fly apart to avoid richocetes and NOT penetrate. I think that they would make a horrific shallow wound on something the size of even a small whitetail deer if the bullet hit a rib or scapula.

Good luck!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
I've shot the Sierra 90 Varminter in 3 different .270 rifles with excellent to good accuracy. The best accuracy was through a friends Browning A bolt sporter with a Boss dialed to a setting of 1. The 5 shot groups are in the .3s and .4s for this rifle with a fair trigger. The Remingtons 700s belonging to my son and I will shoot .4s to .7s. In my opinion and experince the Sierra Varminters perfom well in the standard weight barrels and would be my first recomendation for the .270 Win. in light bullets for coyote, woodchucks, etc.

posted Hide Post
I was going to use them on Kangaroos down here. I think they should be OK then. Roos are very lightly skinned.
thanks

Posts: 69 | Location: Sydney | Registered: 14 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
They are extremely accurate and not fur-friendly in my dad's .270 WSM using a near max charge of Varget powder.

Posts: 3299 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote