New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compressed Load 44 mag etc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tried this before, no luck--here's the abbreviated version..

Full house loads for the 44 mag are listed as 120%+ compressed--how does a guy do this?

For dangerous game I want deep penetration and hard hits--thinking of hard alloy lead cast bullets. Am I on the right track (Buffalo Bore brand etc)?

What are the pressure signs in a straight walled revolver cartridge?

Thanks for all the help. See if this works...

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
I load N110 in my .44 with 18,5gr. behind a Lyman bullet (325gr , but weights 348gr. with GC and lube) this is already crunching the kernels , I have no idea about the percentage but 120% sounds impossible to me !I hope this helps , J�rgen

<eldeguello>
posted
I use 22 grains of 2400 powder in my 240-grain .44 magnum loads, and have used as much as 27 grains of H110 with 200-grain bullets. None of these seemed to be compressed to the extent you describe, however.

<.>
posted
Bullet weight and powder you're using would be good data to provide in a reloading forum. Otherwise we're clueless as to what you're taling about.

With a LazerCast, 240 gr. SWC and the maximum suggested 24.0 gr. of H-110 (Hodgdon Data Manual # 26 - 1992) I'm getting 1451 fps from a 10.5" bbl. Super Blackhawk.

The load is not compressed.

H-110 is the optimal powder for 44 magnum loads. Highest velocity, lowest pressures. It's designed specifically for magnum handguns. Second choice would be 2400 which is what Elmer Keith used before H-110 was developed.

Pressure signs would be flattened/cratered primers, primers backing out, difficult extraction of cases, any swelling around the web (which is unlikely in a revolver).

H-110 should give you excellent loads without compression. (Compressing a load is no big deal.)

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved