Find
Notify
Tools

Palma Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted
Has the Palma Team switched from Varget to Benchmark in 308 Win w/155MK?

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I ahve read, yes. It seems the quality (consistency) of Varget has been slowly going down hill. It seems most people have gone to Benchmark, RL15, IMR4895, and IMR4064. I personally prefer a starting load of 46grns of 4064 with a 155SMK. It's compressed so you'll have to use a drop tube.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
DanD
What brass are you using to get 46 grs. of 4064 in the case. I'm using Lake City brass and getting compressed charges with 43 grs. The 43 grs. load seems to agree with my rifle, gives nice five shot groups at a 100 yards.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Reloader 15 is my backup powder, In my 308 Win. I try to get as much info as I can from those Palma Match shooters who spend alot of time at the bench. BenchMark powder with the 150/155 MK @ 43.0 grains is what I heard, just need to validate this info with our forum readers, before I buy a #. Thanks

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ArkyPete, I use Lapua brass. You need to use a 6inch drop tube, slowly pour the powder and tap the case while it is loading and you will get it all in there. Remington brass has the most room inside, but it's consistency isn't the best. But if 43grns is working I would stay with it.

Alaska, 43grains is fine. This would be the max load or close to it, start at 39 and work up.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote