New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning A-Bolt, .300 WM, .375 H&H Clip
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A while back I read a post, I believe Jon A wrote, that you could buy a .375 H&H Magnum clip for a .300 Winchester Magnum instead of "hogging out" the original clip. I just got my clip today, and when I tried to insert it, it does not allow my floor plate to close. Is there something simple I am missing, or is there a part of the clip that I need to modify? [Confused]

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took me so long to see this, with the board being down and all it's easy to miss stuff here.

I'm surprised you're having problems. Can you tell exactly where it's hanging up? I had to modify the feed rails on the 300 RUM mag to fit into mine after the rechamber, but that was to be expected with the fat cases. I know others here have used the 375 H&H mag in their 300 Win's and this is the first problem anyone has mentioned. Maybe with the introduction of the RUMs they started using common, fatter feed rails for all their big mags? [Confused]

Anyway, without knowing what exactly is causing the problem, about the only solution I can offer is to swap the feed-ramp innards from the new box to the old box. This is the part I hogged out of my 300 Win box and I had to remove it to do so in the process anyway. It's held on by a rivet. You can grind the rivet off, swap in the new piece and reattach it with a very small bolt and nut. It'll look much better than my hogged out piece, at least.

Or, if it is the feed rails, you can take some material off of them toward the front like I had to do with the RUM magazine.

It's ironic I suggested getting the 375 mag in the first place to avoid all of that stuff. In any case, it can be made to work in the end. I'll try to help any way I can.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jon,

I figured it out. The top part of the clip was just a touch to high to allow closure of the floorplate so I lowered those slightly with a board and hammer. After I did that it fit in o.k., but my cartridges would not feed. I have 200 grain Nosler accubonds seated just shy of 3.600 and the way they wanted to feed just shoved the point into the front of the clip. All I had to do was file a slight amount off the top of the front to get the point started towards the chamber. Works o.k. now. Good thing, I leave for my elk hunt tomorrow. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it all worked out. Good luck on your hunt!

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote