Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended Loads for a BAR
 Login/Join

posted
I'm going to start loading for my dads .243 BAR and was wondering if anyone can recommend any loads for 100grn Partitions. I've been using RL22 in my .243 bolt, but I'm not sure if this is an ideal powder as I've never loaded for an auto before. If anyone can steer me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it, I'm going to go pick up some more supplies tomorrow so I can start loading while I have some time off. Thanks.

Posts: 9 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the RCBS small base 243 dies or you will have a very unhappy father.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I already picked up a set a while ago just in case. I know guys that load for BARs that don't use them, and others that swear you need them, but I didn't really feel like risking it and hearing about it from my dad, he's already yelled at me enough to last a lifetime. roflmao

Posts: 9 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
I just started reloading for my BAR .243, using H4350 and 85 grain TSX. Don't have the loads in front of me but I think my best group so far is 45.5 grains H4350 giving 3087 fps average. My BAR doesnt' really like the 100 grain bullets. It will shoot the 95 grainers okay. It has always been partial to the 80 grain Winchester PSP and that is the load I'm trying to match up to.

My BAR has always been very consistant with the first two shots but kinda eratic with additional shots. Look for a load that gives a good two shot group and if the thrid one is close, that is probably a good load. Good luck.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote