New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Inop w/Fine Powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a problem with the RCBS Chargemaster when using fine powders (e.g., AA2/5/7/9)? I bought this unit a few years back and didn't get around to using the thing until about a year ago. Worked fine until a month ago. With the finer propellents the motor started turning really slow and now won't turn at all. I separated the scale from the reservoir and cleaned everything and discovered a crack in the housing that goes around the hollow shaft. I wonder if this could be filling up with residue? I took photos and sent them off with a letter to RCBS asking if they knew what the problem was and if it was now time to just buy a new one. All I received back was a catalogue - no note, no letter, nothing. Didn't need the catalogue as we have one in the sporting goods store were I work. Maybe that was a hint to just buy a new one... Works great with extruded propellents but not at all with ball. Anyone have this problem? Thanks - m

Posts: 48 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I didn't like the scales that are all digital.
I use an autoscale made by lyman. I have used it for about 18yrs with out any issues. Its a balance beam with two feed tubes one for heavy feed and the other is like a trickle.
good quality product.
http://i33.photobucket.com/alb...9724_zpsvezmaaap.jpg

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No problems with AA-9, H110 etc, never a problem.

Posts: 1 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. I went to Midway to find a replacement unit (motor, hopper assy only) and was looking for hints on whether or not RCBS changed the unit - concerned that if I buy just the replacement part, will it still fit to my older scale? Couldn't find out and Midway doesn't offer capability to ask questions.
However, I did see where otehrs have had the same problem and also very poor customer service. Apparently finer propellents "gum up" the works on a lot of these. Since I get a discount were I work, I might just buy another complete set-up and keep the thing meticulously clean.
PS- A note to RCBS as to the retro-fitting of a new hopper to older scale resulted in another catalogue with no other correspondence. I'm not one to bash manufacturers and have been an RCBS customer for over 45 years but, since I teach hand loading (using RCBS equipment) for the store where I work, I'll have to tell clients of the poor customer support and warn them of the fine propellent problems with this unit. Take care -

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bohonkie:
Thanks, all. I went to Midway to find a replacement unit (motor, hopper assy only) and was looking for hints on whether or not RCBS changed the unit - concerned that if I buy just the replacement part, will it still fit to my older scale? Couldn't find out and Midway doesn't offer capability to ask questions.
However, I did see where otehrs have had the same problem and also very poor customer service. Apparently finer propellents "gum up" the works on a lot of these. Since I get a discount were I work, I might just buy another complete set-up and keep the thing meticulously clean.
PS- A note to RCBS as to the retro-fitting of a new hopper to older scale resulted in another catalogue with no other correspondence. I'm not one to bash manufacturers and have been an RCBS customer for over 45 years but, since I teach hand loading (using RCBS equipment) for the store where I work, I'll have to tell clients of the poor customer support and warn them of the fine propellent problems with this unit. Take care -

Have you tried calling RCBS and talking to them?

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a warning taped to the front of my Chargemaster: "NO LIL'GUN"!

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1070 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naw. Didn't call them. Just sent them two letters with photos and questions. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I expect that you'll get the answer about the one year warranty. Other than the Chargemaster they have great customer service.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew the warranty had expired but their reply (both times) was to send a catalogue - no other correspeondence or explanation. Since we already have their catalogue in the store and don't use them anyway, I threw the catalogues away. m