New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand primer doesn't fit WSM's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried to "open up" one of the Lee hand priming tools to take the WSM's? I was surprised they didn't fit. Could I just open up the hole enopugh for one, an dif so, does that ruin it for regular magnums or cases? Is there another inexpensive hand priming tool that works with teh short mags?

Thanks -

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I saw the same thing. I noticed that the fat part of the case above the extractor slot is the point that contacts the tool. So I was thinking about beveling the top of one of my Lee priming tools to see if it would work. Haven't tried it yet though.

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Mine is from Hornady and works fine. It takes a standard shellholder, so as long as you can get a shellholder for a cartridge, and it uses standard small or large primers, it will fit it.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple guys I know have taken a dremel tool and opened up their Lee hand primers to accomodate the WSM's. I have the RCBS hand priming tool that uses the same shell holder as your press, so no problem fitting any case I load. Plus I like the added saftey feature that separates the seating operation from the primer supply, virtually eliminating the possiblity of tray detonation.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem w/ my .404 also & went to the Hornady. It has a good leverage system & takes std. shellholders. I had a RCBS but didn't like the way it was put together, too complicated. If you want to by an RCBS, I'll let you have mine for a couple bucks & shipping.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took my dremel with a cutting head and opened it up--no problem, 45 seconds, works like a charm now. Having said that I like my RCBS better than the lee or my sinclair hand primer which was about 6 times the price. The only beef I have had from time to time is that the push rod has been just a fuzz short of getting the primers all the way to the bottom of the pocket on some brass. I am considering getting a new rod made for it that is a few thousandths longer than the factory one--maybe I should call RCBS and see what they think..... Anyways I digress--If you want to open up your lee it will work fine, and it doesn't matter a whit to smaller calibers you may use it for. If you don't mind spending a few more bucks get an RCBS.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Opened mine up with a dremmel. Still works fine with the other cartridges also.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I'd have to third (or forth) the Dremel tool idea. It worked fine

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I thought the dremel tool would work, but I figured someone else had already run into the problem and tired it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah had the same problem with the Lee Hand Primer. Great if you have a Dremel but I didn't so it was a pain in the butt. Lee should get off their ass and fix this issue. Apparently, its been around for a while & before the Short Mags or RUM. The belted magnums could cause a problem according to the FAQ site at Lee.

I didn't have a Dremel but had a 12V tool with an abrasive stone to sharpen chain saws. Used that & now Lee works fine. In fact I bought another one so that I have 1 for LR primers & another for SR Primers. Tried the Lee Press mounted primer (uses std shellholders) & didn't like it at all. The Primers would not feed unless you had a lot in the tray or else you need a stick to feed them down the feed ramp.Plus no feel.

Regards,
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I, too, opened up my Lee with a stone in my cordless drill. Works fine now.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Another Dremel user here.

I used the sander bit w/ the cardboard/grit tube. It worked like a charm.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote