Find
Notify
Tools

The Magic Of Molly
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Gentlemen,

As some of you know, we have just returned from a hunt in South Africa.

I got around to cleaning the barrel on my rifle, and all it took is 8 patches to get the barrel absolutely spotlessly clean.

This after firing 68 rounds through it without cleaning. The rifle is custom made with a Hart 27.5 inches barrel, chambered for the 30/404. All loades fired had a velocity of between 3430-3480 fps.

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Did you coat the bullets yourself or use production moly treated bullets?

I have not tried moly but have read much pro & con regarding the process. I should try it with my 25/06.

Any particulars would be appreciated.

Thanks.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it might have been Walter's rings.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought the only real advantage to moly was reduced copper fouling and easier cleaning. Saeed has affirmed my conclusion.

However, I have Wipe-Out bore cleaner now. [Big Grin] My neighborhood dealer has started carrying it at my suggestion. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Of course moly and Wipe-Out ... would that be even easier? Or XLC blue stuff and Wipe-Out??? We shall see ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course if one is going to shoot 59 critters with 68 shots (not bad, eh?) and not clean one's rifle until one gets home from the hill, then moly is definitely the way to go!

(Going for a thousand posts, only two more. Remember that 1500 plus posts I had as a newbie before starting over, y'all? Well I am still here for you all to kick around as you please. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Orion>
posted
Well done !!

martin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Holmes,

I coated these bullets myself, using the NECO tumbler and media.

RAB,

I would gladly molly coat my bullets just for the sake of keeping copper fouling down. And for this purpose, molly works like a charm.

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote