THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Loading 38 Special or 357 for rifles rather than pistols

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading 38 Special or 357 for rifles rather than pistols
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Winchester 94 357 Legacy with a 24" barrel and was thinking about reloading. I have done some reading but the only mention I can find of 38Sp or 357 is in Pistol calibres and the load information seems to be aimed at pistols. Any idea where I can find loading information for theses calibres used in rifles. Logic suggests the loads should be higher (as they have to travel further before reaching the open air) but I don't know. As you might guess, I am a real novice in this. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in general you can load up your 38/357 a bit hotter in a rifle than in a handgun. Most of the newer manuals will have a listing showing some of the pistol calibers in rifles. The other thing is that you can use contender as a __GUIDE__ STARTING BELOW WHAT IS CALLED FOR IN THE T/C

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load pistol loads only. It is only a 357. If you want a powerfull rifle get one in the first place. Problem will be when you drop one of the super loads in a revolver and damage the gun. I have done exactly that. Super hot 44-40 loads found there way into a revolver. Load to standard pressures for whatever cartridge you are working with. Then you can never have a mix up. If you want more power get a more powerfull gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Logic suggests the loads should be higher (as they have to travel further before reaching the open air) but I don't know. As you might guess, I am a real novice in this. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Curious why logic would suggest this. Assuming the chamber, lock up, chamber outside diameter were the same why would a rifle handle higher pressure rounds ? The length of the barrel....particularly is this case...using a pistol round would have little of nothing to do with the pressure spike upon firing.
Scota - offered excellent advise....if you want .357 max type loads ....buy a .357 max. Otherwise load your .357 to the level stated in decent loading manuals. I will say that if you reference older loading manuals from Hornady and Speer they do list loads noticably higher than what is listed today. Consider the fact that components, data and techniques have changed....but so have lawyers since they were published.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
357 Mag rifles are built to shoot the same ammo as 357 Mag handguns. Loading the rifle ammo to higher pressure than regular handgun ammo is asking for trouble. Just because the barrel is longer doesn't mean the chamber and action can stand more pressure (especially if it's a lever action). Longer barrels do give better performance with larger charges of slower burning powder, but only up to a point. Win 296 is about the slowest practical powder in the 357 Mag (rifle or pistol). I recomment 17 grains with a 158 grain bullet (check your books).

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several loading manuals have separate loading data for .357 mag in rifle and pistol. Accurate Arms does, for one. My older Sierra Rifle manual does.

Pressure levels are similar, but the rifle data gives expected rifle velocities. Rifle data may also show a powder or two a bit slow for optimal results in pistol barrel lengths.

If you don't have rifle data available, you won't go wrong picking one of the slowest powders that give good results pistol.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all your replies. I was just confused and needed a little guidance. I'm quite happy with the size of my weapon and don't need a bigger or more powerful one. gunsmile

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had two .357 rifles and three revolvers so chambered, have one of each now. IMO, this is a very good combo for house guns for those among us who do not want to be bitten by the "black gun" bug or who do not tremble in paranoia about the next apocalypse.....

So, I use a 158 gr. bullet over 14.5 grs. H-110 in both guns and it works for me. After serious downsizing, I still have about three dozen guns and I find that these two are among my most practical. The one load works well for everything that I would even consider using a .357 on.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote