THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Anyone else use H-380 in 308 Win. w/165 gr. bullets?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else use H-380 in 308 Win. w/165 gr. bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What kind of performance/accuracy are you getting?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Rae, I like H380, shot pretty good in my mauser. 24" barrel 48gr Sierra hpbt br2 primers.
1/2" groups with a bit of vertical stringing. velocity was a little low avg, was 2604f/s
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
My Hodgdon manual says that H4895 and H322 are slightly better than H380 but not enough difference to see or feel. With a maximum load of 48 grains they list the velocity at 2288 fps in the 308 with 165 grain bullets.
The best load (in my opinion) for the 308 is a 150 grain using H4895. The maximum load is 43 grains at 2504 fps and you get good accuracy all the way down to 26 grains.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, are you sure about those velocities. I think they are pretty low. I am away from home but I am pretty sure I was getting high 2600 to low 2700 with, I believe, 48gr. H-380. (Don't quote me on the powder weight just yet). It was well into the neck though.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
curious?
I checked my Winchester manual and they list 48grs 168gr bullet @2700. some list
48 as a max load while others list 51. the velocity range for a 165gr bullet is from about 2475 to about 2750 with most powders.
It always pay to check a few different load manuals when working up a load and

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hivel.
I found the same thing. Surprisingly, I didn't see any H-380 data on either Hogden's site or their paper cataloge, as I recall. I got aome H-380 data from Sierra and aome from Lyman.

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I double checked my old Hodgdon manual (25th edition) and H380 is listed with a max of 48 grains at a velocity of 2288 fps for a 165 grain bullet. The newer Hodgdon manual does not list H380 for that load at all and the website doesn't list it either.
My Speer #12 manual lists 49 grain max load (compressed) at 2529 fps with the 165 grain bullet. My Lyman #47 manual lists 51 grains in a compressed charge at 2793 for the same bullet.
It has been my personal experience that the velocities listed in the Lyman manual are always 300 fps faster than I actually get with that load.

I will also throw one word of caution out - take it as you wish as this is just my opinion.
Double based powders can be very dangerous in compressed loads. They can stifle the primer's ignition and cause hang fires or even failure to fire. I was taught this by the manuals from Winchester when they introduced their "ball propellants" when I first started reloading. I have seen the newer data that lists compressed charges with double based powders and I steer clear of them. I have used the old single based powders in compressed charges but they don't contain nitroglycerine and the double based powders do.
As I said, take it for what it is worth to you - but remember:
"There are bold reloaders, and there are old reloaders but there are darn few old, bold reloaders."
As always exercise due care and caution.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and concerns Paul.
Got home today and looked up my notes.
I worked up to 49 grs. Of H-380 getting 2800 fps.
Pretty good accuracy too. No problems so far.
Still in the preliminary stages.
Would like to use H-380 since I have a bunch for my 22-250s.