New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load Data Spreadsheet
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
I have decided to start tracking my load data more formally and started drafting a spreadsheet.

Before I finalize it, does anyone have any suggestions as to what information I should track (beyond the obvious, of course)? Does anyone have a favorite format that they find particularly user friendly?

TIA,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't use a spreadsheet for loading data but I do use one to keep track of results of shooting various loads over a chronograph.

I use two sheets per caliber. As an example, for 44 Magnum the 1st sheet contains the data or velocities. It will also contain all the formulas that I want used and the results of. Each row is the results data for one specific loading in that caliber. The 2nd sheet will contain the load info (powder name and weight) for that particular test and will also show the results of all the formulas that were calculated on the 1st sheet.

There are references for each load so that there is very little chance of messing up on page one and putting in the wrong data for a load and seeing the wrong results when looking at that load as listed on page 2.

Hopefully you can follow that.

Posts: 10 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I just use an Excel spreadsheet, with modified coloumn and row sizes, and print them out to take to the range.

I record which rifle I'm using, then record all the info in little boxes.

It will list the "static" information, like bras type, primer, bullet.

Then the rest of the chart will record different amounts of powder, different seating depths, and the velocities.

I also record the group each variation makes for accuracy, and comments like "Whoah! Why the hell did I put so much powder in that load?? I'm an idiot!" [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex,

I have just started to transfer all my load data to a spreadsheet too. I started columns for almost everything I keep track of lot #'s, enviros, scope settings, range, shot placement high, left whatever... I can finally see some kind of organization and get some meaningfull comparisons etc real quick.

I started one for each gun. Each row represents each group I shoot. Copy and paste the row above it into the next one and change only what needs to be changed... this is a hell of alot easier than wrighting it all over again, and again, and again...

Is there any way to send someone a copy of a spreadsheet in an email, just to compare?

I'm interested in what formulas would be usefull and enlightening to use, I have no idea how to use this program other than enter and save data into it at this point though... the formulas were a main reason I started storing data in one, still have no idea what I could do with them though. Any ideas or tips. I'm using Microsoft Works Spreadsheet. I don't know what's different about it than Excel Spreadsheet that I see others have used but I do have a ballistics program, Exbal, that will export data to Excel, but won't do it with Microsoft Word Spreadsheet. Excel is spendy!!

Canuck, what program are you using?

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
I cover the basics at home
date
brass make (name)
Primer (name)
Powder (name)
Charge (weight)
bullet make (name)
Bullet (weight)
bullet shape (RN/SP/FN/etc)
OAL (inches)
Crimp (y/n)

Another Row of 2 for the range
Date (date)
Temp (est)
Wind (none/light/medium/strong)
Wind Direction (n/ne/etc)
Rain (y/n)
(2x3 shot groups)
Velocity 1 (speed) (powder charge if load dev)
Velocity 2 (speed) (powder charge if load dev)
Velocity 3 (speed) (powder charge if load dev)
Velocity 4 (speed) (powder charge if load dev)
Velocity 5 (speed) (powder charge if load dev)
Velocity 6 (speed) (powder charge if load dev)

Positon on target
Primer condition/pressure
Use again (y/n)
Jeffe

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can spend many hours working on the format, formulas, etc. and then spend many more hours computing group size, post-firing head expansion, standard deviation in velocity, effects of altitude, temperature, wind, etc. Or you can use AccuLoad where all the formatting, formulas, enviroment recording and effect, etc. has already been done for you.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent, et. al.,

Works is what Microsoft includes with new computers so that you will learn to want their more expensive applications. I cut my teeth on Office 97 when I first learned to use a computer for more than the calculator and to write letters home. Office 97 is old, but it rocks.

Excel is Works Spreadsheet on steroids. A full version of any of the Office applications will include a feature called "form packager". This allows you to save a document in such a way (bigger file) that it can be sent to someone without the parent application and they can open & view the document. I don't think they can modify and save it but at least they can see the information you have collected and sent them in its original format.

I found an Office 97 Professional full version on CD in 2001 for $125. They might be a lot less now since its so old but I'm happy with it and it works just fine.

You might be better served collecting your shooting result data in a database application rather than a spreadsheet. Querries are much more efficient at grouping and displaying this kind of information than manually searching for it.

Also, check out what this guy did:

http://www.robsoft.nu/rro3_en/default.asp

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have MS Access and know how to use it, I would use it rather than a spreadsheet. It's not possible to see all the relationships you might be interested in using a spreadsheet. I have a database built in Access. With it I can see relationships like Velocity v. powder charge. Accuracy v. bullet type. I can see how many shots I took of load "A' to arrive at an avg velocity. I can tell which primers were most associated with accurate loads or low velocity standard deviations. I can even tell if a particular scope is suspect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been doing it in Excel for years. The format is easy to customize. It is a very quick way to keep track of what you are doing. They really help to point out what is working and what is not. They also prevent selective memory from influencing what you are doing. I also record all my info in hardbound books as disc drives do crash and I am not that good about backing things up!
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Lotus 123 to keep track of my loads for each rifle. I like it because I can have a page in the same spreadsheet for each of my rifles plus the rifles of my reletives I reload for.

[ 04-17-2003, 00:44: Message edited by: Ed Barrett ]

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
At one point in time, I did have a lot of my data logged in Excel97 format, which worked pretty good. A couple of observations, though:

Unless you are trying to do some really funky statistical calculations, just about any spredsheet should do the job just fine. Right now what I have on my computer is AppleWorks 6. Haven't gotten around to recreating a spreadsheet for loading in it; it's on the To-Do list [Wink] AppleWorks is basically a lot like Microsoft Works: Probably sufficient for what 95% of the people who use computers need. *Maybe* 5% of computer users would actually be hobbled by it feature-wise. The biggest 'benefit' of any of the M$ Office applications (including Excel) is interoperability w/ what people use at work. And M$ changes the file format every single freakin' release, to force you to upgrade rather than sticking w/ what actually fulfills your needs. Nice.

What I have in mind for my spreadsheet when I start over is to have the data stored in CSV (comma-separate-variable) format, or able to be exported cleanly to that format. CSV is able to be read as a plain ASCII text file, i.e. you can open it and view the data in NotePad if you want to. It's also about as universal as it gets; just about every spreadsheet known to man can import CSV files, so if you change from Works to Excel to Lotus to whatever, you should be able to take your data with you.

AFAIK, the formula are abit more complicated to export. Not sure how well they survive the transition to CSV, if at all. But IMHO, it'd be a heck of a lot easier to recreate the formula than my raw data value archives.

So, in short, I think about any cheap and easy spreadsheet you have handy, like Works, should be more than sufficient. A particular function may not be 'built-in', but hell, go to the library, get a math book, look it up, type it in, and save the $$$ and frustration of buying a new program just for function (foo). If your computer came w/ a version of M$ Office, it probably has Excel on it. Use it. A database is probably getting into overkill, as you are mainly dealing w/ number crunching here, unless you are really getting ticky, in which case I suggest you should spend more time shooting and less time worrying about what the numbers say [Wink]

HTH,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Canuck

I remembered today about Dallan C's spreadsheet...

Dallan C used to post on huntinfo.com..I don't even know if huntinfo is still there, or if Dallan still posts anywhere, but Dallan had a pretty good reloading spreadsheet.

It's a few years old, so I don't think it's as fancy as the newer ones, but it's FREE!

I just downloaded it myself, took about a minute on my slow dial up! [Wink]

Go to www.huntingnut.com

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BECoole hit it on the head. If you're going to go to all the trouble of entering the info, using a database like Access is the way to go.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Canuck:
[QB]I have decided to start tracking my load data more formally and started drafting a spreadsheet.

I have been using a program called Lock,Stock& Barrel for a few years.
I enter all my components,prices,lot#,etc.
Plenty of space for gun info,loads,etc.
It will even calculate costs if i want it.
It was cheap and works well.
I am not all that computer savvy... [Confused]
It will also interact with my chronograph.
too bad PcProxy is out of buisiness,i was waiting to see what updates they were planning [Frown]
JM2CW

Z

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use and am quite happy with Lotus 1-2-3. I treat each rifle as a member. I can keep all my data for a rifle on one page, and cross reference it to the actual targets which I date and save. I can use more than a single page, but its not likely that I'd need it. I print the data for each rifle I'm taking to the range on any given day. The only difficulty is that the data has to be updated when returning from the range and again after my reloading is complete. It's rather tedious, but I see no way around it. It's nice to have the data at my fingertip. God, I remember doing it before I had my computer. After a few updates I'd wear a hole in the paper. Best wishes to all.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote