New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet, powder combinations
 Login/Join

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello: I hope this note finds all having a good day. I just took my Winchester Model 70 30/06 to the shop to be rebarreled for the 338-06 Ackley Improved. It will be several months before I get the rifle back but I am begining to gather information on this caliber. The new barrel will be a 24" tube and I'm looking for suggestions for reloads. I will be using 210 Nosler Partitions primarily. If you can help I appreciate it. Enjoy and good shooting. Jim

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Several months? That should give you plenty of time to buy a couple of reloading manuals and do a little research.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no way to predict how a load will behave in a given rifle without firing it.You can choose several likely bullets and powders but the rifle will let you know what it prefers.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
Jim,
get a hold of several manuals and look at the amount of powder (grains) and the velocity listed. Choose the top three velocities that come the closest to filling the case. These are your best bet for top velocities with accuracy. Start by loading just five rounds of each powder at the starting loads and then work up in .5% steps until you find a smaller group than the rest. Work up loads around this charge in .1 grain increments to fine tune the charge weight. When you get a load that is consistantly accurate then you can tune the seating depth and finally chronograph it.

Keep records of all your loads and put them in a looseleaf binder because three years from now you may want to try something new and there is no point in wasting time with stuff you have already done.

------------------
stay safe and live long!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck

Here are some sources for you.

338-06 loads are a good place to start.

Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading Manual has both 338-06 and 338-06 Improved.
Wolfe Publications - Wildcat Catridges I and II Combo has data for both.
Nolser #4, Barnes #2, Speer #12 and Hodgdon #27 all have 338-06 data. Some of the Hodgdon data is on-line. I don't have the latest Hornady Manual but I do know they will mail you data for the 338-06.

huntingnut.com has data for both and this site has data for the 338-06.

I have 338 Hawk, which is just a little bit more improved than a 338-06 Ackley. I get good results with H414 and the 210 Nosler, RL 15 with the 200 BT and Varget with the 225 NP.

My favorite hunting load is the 210 Partition at 2850 fps - This is not a hot load in my gun.

www.z-hat.com has data for the 338 Hawk.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler used to have some good load info for the 210 gr. Partitions on their website...but not now. I'm sure their manual should have it. I have a "normal" 338-06 from Weatherby. I shoot 210 gr Partitions (24") barrel and get about 2800 fps. You should do at least that or better from the Improved. The bullet/load combination is excellent. Good luck. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello and Thanks!!! Those of you who offered me help in getting ready for my new rifle I thank you more than I know how to express. Over and over I am constantly amazed at how people who do not know one another reach out to help on the rifle forums. I think it's great and I will do my part to keep the ball rolling. Good luck and safe shooting. Jim