New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 and Browning 1886
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had a problem with some reloads for my 1886. I reloaded some Hornady 350 grain flat points and seated them up to the crimp groove. The gun won't close on this round. Is this bullet too long for this gun>

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Nimrod:
Had a problem with some reloads for my 1886. I reloaded some Hornady 350 grain flat points and seated them up to the crimp groove. The gun won't close on this round. Is this bullet too long for this gun>

Is "the bullet" too long for the gun? Well, I would say no, not if it made the trip from the magazine. If you just can't lock the lever into position, I would submit that perhaps you didn't size the brass enough.

Take the decapping pin out of your sizing die, run the loaded rounds up into the die, and try again. Do this with one round and see how it goes. Remember to lube the case first.

Post how it goes.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also... just to humor me... mark up the brass with a felt marker, or something, and check where marks are made. I'm really betting you just don't have the brass sized enough.

Russ

[ 10-29-2002, 02:45: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats pretty funny Russell. Where do you suppose the brass/bullet material is going to go when the cases neck gets to that point in the size die. Thats about where your majic marker will show contact. Seat your bullet as deep as you can and still crimp in the cannelure. If it still won't close look for rifling marks on the bullet. If that don't show you anything then dissasemble your ammo and start over. This time work with your size die until you get it right.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its new Starline 45-70 brass. I didn't full length resize it just trued up the necks. But you may be right. I'll try chambering some empty brass just for grins. I loaned out my dial caliber over the weekend and am running blind right now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:
Where do you suppose the brass/bullet material is going to go when the cases neck gets to that point in the size die.

"Go?" It's going to "go"... "inward"... just like when you size empty cases.

And by the way, by the time the "case's neck gets to that point in the die"... the rest of the case will be a LOT more sized than it is now, and it'll work.

Haven't worked up a whole Hell of a lot of BPCR loads, have you?

There's no need to disassemble the ammo. We're not talking about anything dangerous. We're talking, at best, very VERY small fractions of an inch that need to be sized so he can chamber the rounds.

[ 10-29-2002, 05:14: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its new Starline 45-70 brass. I didn't full length resize it just trued up the necks.

You ALWAYS full-length size new brass!!!

Do pushups. Then report back after what I told you to do works.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
If resizing doesn't help you might want to check the throat(or lack of). I own both the 1886 ex. lt. and theMarlin 1895 CB, The 1886 will not chamber the 400 gr. Speer but the Marlin will. The new 1886's literally don't have a throat they go straight from chamber to rifling while the Marlins do have a short throat. I'm not sure about the hornady but if it mikes .458 just ahead of the canalure you've got the same problem.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thought, Rooster. It would be nice if he'd get back to us, I'm sure one of us is right.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm on the road until Friday but will check it out when I get back and get my dial caliper back...hmmmm I've been lusting after a Mitutoyo dial for a while. Maybe its time to spring for an upgrade?

[ 10-30-2002, 05:49: Message edited by: Kentucky Nimrod ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
FRIDAY?????????????

God, I hate suspense. Plus, then "I" will be gone from Friday night to Sunday night.

If you're engraving the bullet, that's the problem. Otherwise, you didn't size enough.

Friday. Good grief. Not that I'm impatient or anything. [Frown]

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
So Russel you are saying that the size die will reduce the case and the bullet at the same time? Any particular lubricant you got in mind? Seems to me the case neck is the first thing that gets "sized". Whatever lets see the saga run itself out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The size thing is easy to sort out. I'll simply take some new but as yet unloaded cases and try and chamber them. When I was having the problem I checked the bullet very carefully for rifling marks and could not discern any.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Collected some additional data today regarding this saga. Called Hornady and talked to a tech. He said the 350 grain bullet was designed for the .450 Marlin. According to the tech its just a tad too long for a 45-70 if your brass is longer than the min Trim length. He said to trim the brass and it usually will chamber fine in an 1886. Was wondering if either of you have any experience with the Cast Performance 405 grain WFNGC in a 45-70/1886? Guess I'll be pulling some bullets on Saturday...good thing I only loaded 10!

[ 10-31-2002, 02:19: Message edited by: Kentucky Nimrod ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Collected some additional data today regarding this saga. Called Hornady and talked to a tech. He said the 350 grain bullet was designed for the .450 Marlin. According to the tech its just a tad too long for a 45-70 if your brass is longer than the min Trim length. He said to trim the brass and it usually will chamber fine in an 1886. Was wondering if either of you have any experience with the Cast Performance 405 grain WFNGC in a 45-70/1886? Guess I'll be pulling some bullets on Saturday...good thing I only loaded 10!

It would seem to me Hornady now has two distinct 350 grainers, a RN, and a FN.
In the new Hornady load book, the RN is loaded in the 45-70. I didn't see any 450 Marlin info. I'm led to believe the FN would work best in the 450 chamber, whereas, the RN is for the 45-70. Perhaps you have the wrong bullet... ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:
So Russel you are saying that the size die will reduce the case and the bullet at the same time? Any particular lubricant you got in mind? Seems to me the case neck is the first thing that gets "sized". Whatever lets see the saga run
itself out.

You're using medications in a manner not allowed by law. You clearly don't understand the problem nor the resolution. I do. Like I said before, you don't have much BPCR experience. You've worn out my patience and I won't respond to your ignorance anymore. Have a nice day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The size thing is easy to sort out. I'll simply take some new but as yet unloaded cases and try and chamber them. When I was having the problem I checked the bullet very carefully for rifling marks and could not discern any.

Well? Did you do this? You said there was no engraving on the bullets you tried to chamber, so did you do what I said?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a pill Russ...it aint Friday yet [Wink] I'll let you know when I get home... after I kiss the sweet thang, pet the dog, chase the cows outta the yard, fix any leaky plumbing, smoke a cee-gar, drink an adult beverage, polish my riding boots for the Saturday Afternoon fox hunt....THEN I'll check my 1886. I ain't in much of a hurry ya see as I've already collected antlers for the season last Sunday during KY's early blackpowder weekend. 9 point, 165 lbs. That was lucky too as my first attempt with my flintlock resulted in a big click, followed by a woosh, followed by a dumb deer standing there looking stupid while I reprimed...did a little quick and strategic jiggling of the gun to make sure some 4F trickled in the flash hole. The 2d attempt produced the desired results. Made a nice .50 cal hole in the chest through a shoulder and through the heart but the round ball stayed in the chest cavity. After a big kick in the air he limped 40 yards and fell over...kicked for another 15-20 seconds, bellowed and was done. Ain't the suspense killin' ya? [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ain't the suspense killin' ya?

Not since you called Hornady, no.

I'm done.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ,
The verdict is in...the bullet profile is the culprit. The new brass drops into the chamber both before neck sizing and after. Tried trimming the brass back to minimum and seated a bullet and wallah.
In your defense, not that you can't defend yourself mind you [Wink] , I have re-resized loaded ammo before and it can work. Especially in a long taper case like the 45-70. But that wasn't the problem here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee Russ, I could see how you might get away with sizing a loaded round with a soft lead bullet in it but not a jacketed bullet like the 350 grain Hornady. The smart thing to do when working with a bullet you never used before is to make up a dummy round and work with that till you get it right. Speaking of medications what ARE you taking as there are some adjustments there that could be made.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rooster is right. There is no throat in those new 86's either Browning or the new Winchester.

I rethroated about 1/8" so those 350gr bullets would work. The other thing you can do is recannuler them.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Wow! I haven't full length sized new Winchester 45-70 brass for 25 years and haven't had a problem with feeding rounds, ever. Guess I've been doing it wrong all these years. I wonder why I've gotten 100 loadings from some of that brass?

I thought it was fairly well known that the new Winchester 1886s and Browning reproductions have shallow throats. The newer Ruger #1s aren't much better. Now, the Marlin 1895 has a throat that will allow up to a 2.7" COAL (while the cycling of the action won't) with most bullets intended for the 45-70, which actually the Hornady 350 grain flat point is, even though it was produced initially for the factory 450 Marlin load.

[ 11-05-2002, 01:55: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is another answer and that is to trim the cases to whatever length is correct to make a working overall loaded cartridge length for the rifle in question. I am working on this for the Speer 350 grain bullet to work in my marlin.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
rickt300, there are modifications that can be made to the Marlin 1895 ejector and cartridge carrier to allow the cycling of rounds up to 2.7". This modification then allows seating the 350 grain Speer to its cannelure. The mods are described in M.L. McPherson's article in the October 1998 issue of Precision Shooting magazine. I had it done for $60 and essentially now have a 457 WWG Magnum.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote