New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Mag JHP or SP for deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a Ruger Model 96 lever action in 44 Mag. I've been loading 240 gr jacketed hollow point Nosler to about 1700 fps. I'm thinking a 240 gr jacketed soft point may be a better bullet for deer hunting. Anyone have any deer hunting experience with these bullets driven this fast?

I've used 200 gr Nosler out of a 10" Contender with good results but the same bullet out of a muzzle loader was more like a varmint bullet. I'm thinking the 240 JHP at 1700 fps may do the same thing.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg

I have shot a lot of deer over the years with a 44 Mag Rifle. I have used various 240gr Soft and HP bullets, both in factory and handloads.

They both killed equally IMHO. Pick the bullet that shoots best in your gun.

Also let me add, that inside 125 yards the 44 Mag kills deer, and pigs, as good as any gun I have shot them with.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would personally go with the Hornady XTP in the weight of your choice. I have also had good luck with the Sierra 300 JSP. I use both in my muzzleloaders with good success.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the Speer 270 gr Deep Curl SP.They come with high recommendations !

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with Speer 240 grain JSP (the older ones that predate the Deep Curl). Complete penetration is the rule, with a 1/2" entrance and golf-ball sized exit. I use them in both my rifle and in my revolver. I'd have to imagine the Deep Curl would be even better.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure what you feel are the advantages of bullets greater than 240 gr for deer. I got complete penetration on a large buck on a quartering away shot using a 200 gr Nosler JHP, and this was out of a Contender pistol. Of course, here in the Catskill Mountains, there is always the the chance to see a black bear during deer season. I would concede some advantage with the heavier bullets on a bear, but a 240 gr JSP should work just as well, I think.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used the nosler 240 sp to take 3 large deer. All complete penetration including one hit in the shoulders. I use a Winchester Trapper with 16" barrel and loaded to the max.

Would still be using them if I didn't cast my own now.

Posts: 4 | Location: milwaukee, wi | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 23.5 grs/H-110/240 gr. Hornady XTP bullets for use in my Ruger Model 77/44 rifle. Taken several Deer with this rifle & load. VERY ACCURATE!!

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote