New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use .30.06 crimp die w/.308 ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it possible to use a .30-06 cartridge neck crimp die with reloaded .308 ammo? RCBS did not send a .308 crimp die w/their .308 reloading dies; apparently they believe a .30-06 crimp die can be used if it is run far enough down in the tool head to properly squeeze the .308 case mouth when the round is inserted and raised. Neck tension only, no roll crimp. I will seat to center of cannelure ring on bullet.

Posts: 48 | Location: SE USA | Registered: 09 August 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No. Other way round, yes.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are they standard RCBS dies? The crimpimg device used to be built into the bullet seating die. With the ram at top dead, back out the seating stem & turn the die body down until contact then down a little more until you get the desired amount of crimp. This can be a separate step or done at the same time as bullet seating.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 358WCF:
Are they standard RCBS dies? The crimpimg device used to be built into the bullet seating die. With the ram at top dead, back out the seating stem & turn the die body down until contact then down a little more until you get the desired amount of crimp. This can be a separate step or done at the same time as bullet seating.

The OP wants a taper crimp, not a roll/"conventional" crimp.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

The OP wants a taper crimp, not a roll/"conventional" crimp.

I'm sure glad you can decipher that from the original post. I didn't see the word taper in there anywhere. My ESP must be failing.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

this. far as i know rcbs does not include a seperate crimp die with their standard run a the mill 308 dies set. as stated, you can seat and crimp at the same time or crimp seperately with the seater die.

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSI01:
. Neck tension only, no roll crimp.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Be careful with taper (neck tension) crimps; if you go too far you will resize the bullet and make things looser instead of tighter.
You want to use a full length sizing die; not a seater die; that will give you the standard crimp that you said you didn't want; and that is already included in your 308 set.
Not sure why you want this, but...
I would get a 300 mag die and chop off half of it. A 30-06 die is too tapered to allow a 308 round to reach the neck part.
Personally I think all this just creates too much drama, for no gain. Just me though.
Why are you crimping at all?

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
even if you cut down a 30-06 crimp die it won't work on a 308.
the neck length is too different.

if you want to taper crimp your 308's buy a taper crimp die.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote