New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help: Loading for the 8X60mm Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This was also posted in the Gunsmithing forum.

I have the oppertunity to acquire a rifle chambered in 8mm X 60mmM Magnum. Before getting it I would like to know if it is possible to get commercial brass or if there is a place to have it special ordered? Another option would be to form it from the parrent case in the correct dies. Again where would be the best place to get dies? Unfortunatly my Cartridges of the World is 10 hours distant. Ultimately I expect a chamber cast should still be done to verify correct bore diameter. But a little info would be helpful before making the final decision to purchase or not to purchase. What I have been able to find out is that there are 5 variations on the 8X60. The 8X60"S" (.318) and 8X60"JS" (.323) and rimmed version of each; ALL approximating the 30-06. And then there is an 8X60 Mag which approximates the 300 H&H. Thanks

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The case dimensions are the same for all 8x60's.

Just slug your bore to see if it is J or S.

I believe RWS is still marketting loaded ammo and cases.

The "magnum" version is called the 8x60 Magnum Bombe. It simply uses a heavier bullet loaded to a greater velocity thatn the "standard" versions.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 54JNoll:
This was also posted in the Gunsmithing forum.

I have the oppertunity to acquire a rifle chambered in 8mm X 60mmM Magnum. Before getting it I would like to know if it is possible to get commercial brass or if there is a place to have it special ordered? Another option would be to form it from the parrent case in the correct dies. Again where would be the best place to get dies? Unfortunatly my Cartridges of the World is 10 hours distant. Ultimately I expect a chamber cast should still be done to verify correct bore diameter. But a little info would be helpful before making the final decision to purchase or not to purchase. What I have been able to find out is that there are 5 variations on the 8X60. The 8X60"S" (.318) and 8X60"JS" (.323) and rimmed version of each; ALL approximating the 30-06. And then there is an 8X60 Mag which approximates the 300 H&H. Thanks

Just a note of correction - the "S" bore 8mm is the .323" size, the .318" was called the I or J bore (INFANTERIE). The .318" came first, then the .323" BULLET was introduced in 1905.

Here are some loads from COTW for the 8X60S:
159 grain bullet: 48 grains IMR 3031 = 2820 FPS
196 grain bullet: 49 grains IMR 4895 = 2570 FPS

Personally, I have never seen a 159-grain 8mm (.323") bullet.

I have an 8X60RS double rifle. The 8X60RS is the exact same cartridge as the 8X60S "Magnum" except it has a rim for use in doubles and combination guns. I used to use H205, because I could get 2620 FPS from a 200-grain Nosler Partition with safely low pressures for use in the double. Since H205 is long gone, I worked up a new load which consists of 59 grains of Alliant RE22 with the 200 grain Nosler Partition, the Nosler 200 grain Accubond, or the 200 grain Speer. This load gives 2450 FPS MV, and is safe in my double. I suspect this load could be increased in a strong bolt-action using the 8X60S case.

If your rifle has a .318" bore instead of .323", you should use .318" bullets. However, if I recall correctly, the round designated the 8X60 Magnum Bombe was never made in .318", it was only made as an "S" bore cartridge, so it is likely that your rifle has a .323" bore.

If you try any of these loads, start a couple of grains under, naturally!!

You can make 8X60 brass from .30/'06 cases. I make mine from 7X65R brass, and I believe the 8X60 cases are still available in Europe from RWS or Hirtenberger, or possibly some other maker. It is likely that Huntington Die Service can get them for you. The 8X60 is a fine cartridge!!

http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_rws.html

Huntington's Cat #5006 size 8X60S (per 20) price
$ 24.85

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hallo, you can still buy german ammo in 8x60S from RWS with the DK(double core)-bullet. Normally, all 8x60Magnum-guns are of .323caliber, but let it chek by a gunsmith! Don´t run after these "magnum"-loads, they were very optimistic and at that time, there were very long barrels in use for velocity-testing. With the 180grs Nosler BT, you can get with R15 ca. 2800fps and with 200grs bullets ca. 2700fps! That´s enough!!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I posted this in Gunsmithing forum. You can first look at the reloading pages on the website and you will find the 8x60. As I posted on the other forum Ken Waters had a very complete article in the 1985 Nov/Dec issue of Handloader. I had best results with IMR4064.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I knew I could gert some quick info from the AR guys. I think I have the wife's approval too. Will tomarrow though. The rifle is too nice to chase after hot loads so moderate loads will be just fine.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 54JNoll:
Thanks for the help. I knew I could gert some quick info from the AR guys. I think I have the wife's approval too. Will tomarrow though. The rifle is too nice to chase after hot loads so moderate loads will be just fine.

You should be pleased with the 8X60S!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
The "magnum" version is called the 8x60 Magnum Bombe. It simply uses a heavier bullet loaded to a greater velocity thatn the "standard" versions.

If I may specify:
"Magnum" was the pre-war moniker used by RWS,
"Magnum Bombe" was used by DWM.

Neither however did use a heavier bullet. Both used a lighter bullet with special propellants.

In the case of RWS, the Magnum loads had 12,1 grams bullets. From 72 cm barrels, they allegedly achieved muzzle velocities of 866 and 888 m/s; from 60 cms barrels a Vo of 835 m/s (all printed in 1934, first ed.).
The second edition of the old RWS handbook (from 1940) gives 857 m/s from a 65 cms barrel.

Regards,
Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I received two kind emails from Sellier & Bellot about their old 8x60S "Magnum" loads, but I still lack some ballistic data. Will keep you informed.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote