Notify
Tools

Belted Rounds
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted
Hello,
I have a few quick questions about reloading a belted cartridge. Is it normal for some sort of expansion/ridge to form above the belt? I shoot a .460 Weatherby and don't fully resize the case (I wanted a tight fit between shoulder and chamber) and believe this may be the problem. The ridge formed about 1 to 2 millimeters in front of the belt after firing. Is this caused by pressure or my resizing? Thanks for the help.

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.larrywillis.com. He gives a very complete explanation as to what is happening. Basicly a standard resizing die does not size the case completely. He makes a different type of resizing die that is capable of sizing the case completely. Not trying to sell something but this product just plain works I use it when reloading 350 remington mag. You can order the die from midway or midsouth shooters supply look for an innovative technologies belted magnum resizing die.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading belted cases since the middle 1960's, and I have only neck-sized them all after the first firing.

I have never had the problem that has been referred to by others. Once a case is sized to fit your chamber, it fits your chamber!

If you decide to use that case in another firearm, then it has to be fully resized.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kenneth, By the way, nice flick of yourself! Wink

What you are seeing is the "Pressure Ring" and it forms on every cartridge used in a Firearm. So, yes it is normal.

Normally speaking if you set your Dies to Partial-Full Length Resize(P-FLR) or to Full Length Resize there is no need to waste the money on Mr. Willis' $100 tool. There are apparently a few Die/Chamber match-ups where Mr. Willis' tool can be a benefit. Only gottcha is you could send a couple of the cases along with the current Dies back to the Manufacturer and they will normally replace or adjust the Dies at no additional cost.

But in your situation, what you are seeing is normal and should not be a concern.

If you decide to carry that rifle in Dangerous Game country, then you should change over to Full Length Resizing. And if you do that, be sure to check for Insipient Case head Separations with the old Feeler Gauge.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

Hot Core, thanks for the compliment! lol

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you've been able to buy the Innovative Technologies Die for quite a while now. He doesn't sell them on his website and Midway doesn't have them.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my 458, using Lee FL dies I used to get a ridge of brass left just above the belt. The die was "cutting" into the brass. Shaving it may be a better word.
I just ground the sharpness off the end of the die.
No one here has yet told me why I can't PFLS my straight wall cases, just enough to neck size them. No problems so far, and they don't lengthen enough from the short factory lengths to suit me. I've only got maybe two at 2.5 and some were down about 2.480 and less.
Heck I may as well have bought a 45-70 almost.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
...No one here has yet told me why I can't PFLS my straight wall cases, just enough to neck size them. No problems so far, ...
Hey JAL, The only "problem" would be if you got in a situation with Dangerous Game and a small bit of random trash(undurned powder, dirt, etc.) got cycled into the Chamber with the Neck Sized cartridge causing it to bind or hang.

Having a bit more "slop" in the chamber created by Full Length Resizing on a Dangerous Game rifle is simply a Safety issue.

But if it isn't a problem for you, then you should experience excellent case life with what you are doing.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, Ta.

The only thing dangerous around here are irate cockies (landowners).

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JAL, Looked like a bad Cyclone on the North end of your country. Hope it didn't get near you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nar, but I was in one years ago under a tent fly. Slept in 2" of water running thru my swag.
The night watch went to all hell, but the cattle were still there next morning. thumb

Damn cartridges went all green in my ammo belt. thumbdown

one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my 270 Weath mag. With Weath brass all was good, when I switched to Fed nickel plated brass the problem arose. It got to the point where I had trouble to chamber the round. When I switched back to Weath brass the problem dissapeared. I just assumed I had a bad (soft) batch of brass.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
I have been reloading belted cases since the middle 1960's, and I have only neck-sized them all after the first firing.

I have never had the problem that has been referred to by others. Once a case is sized to fit your chamber, it fits your chamber!

If you decide to use that case in another firearm, then it has to be fully resized.

I am not nearly as experienced as you are (since have been reloading for my .338WM rifle since 1992), but I completely agree with you, and so a couple of friends who have reloaded ammo back to their childhoods.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Canadian reloarder:
when I switched to Fed nickel plated brass the problem arose.QUOTE]

Heck, I thought nickel plating was designed to prevent that very problem?