THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    what powder is in the 62 grn military green tip ammo??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what powder is in the 62 grn military green tip ammo??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I was wondering what is in the 62 grn military 5.56 ammo, this stuff I have is LC '02 manufacture. I took one apart and it is 27.3 grns of some mystery ball powder, anyone know what it is, because it really pushes the hell out of a 60 grn vmax

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I read at one time it was Winchester...of what burn speed I don't know.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey CC, There is no real way to know by looking at it because the Factories typically "Blend Powders" to achieve a specific Velocity/Pressure balance. You do hear rumors that some ammo uses a specific Powder and that indeed could be possible, but you still can't tell by looking at it.

For your specific question though, I'll go out on a limb and suggest they used a smokeless Gun Powder. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ammo factories don't use canister grade gunpowder...the stuff we buy in 1, 4, and 8 pound containers.

If I understand you correctly, pulling out the factory bullet and seating a Hornady vmax in its place is foolish practice and could be downright dangerous.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I was thinking he wouldn't have any problems as long as he went down in bullet weight and maintained the same powder charge? What do others think?

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Ammo factories don't use canister grade gunpowder...the stuff we buy in 1, 4, and 8 pound containers.

If I understand you correctly, pulling out the factory bullet and seating a Hornady vmax in its place is foolish practice and could be downright dangerous.

yeah I went down in bullet weight, I did it with no issue especially in a bolt gun. it does look similar to the winchester 748 I have, although it has a more matte look to the powder whereas the military powder is more sparkley

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If I were guessing, I would say they are likely loaded with WC-XXX. SEE BELOW

See Hi-Tech, McDonalds or GIBrass for pricing and availability.

If I were a betting person, I would bet that prices are on their way up and availability on the way down . . . Just a SWAG you understand./

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
COTW lists powders used in the M855A1 cartridge as being WC-846 (think Ball C lot 2) and IMR-8208M, a stick powder (think H-322).

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote