New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Federal Primed Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased some New .223 & 25:06 Federal Primed Brass and was wondering if anyone else has tried any of these?

If so, did you do any prepping since they were already primed?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've bought it in the past....very nice for the price. But watch out for "warm" loads seem to stretch primer pockets on Federal brass faster than other brands. Re the prep....I just plunge them over a Lyman "m" die....do a chamfer... and load. They shoot great. Others will argue with me but do you think the factory is gonna take that brass and some how size it some more before THEY LOAD IT?? And being that Fedral is probably THE PREMIERE factory loader out there I'd say its plenty safe to get the mouth round, chamfer and load.....the accuracy will be there.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have NEVER prepped new brass, primed or unprimed, of any brand including Federal and have never had a problem with that practice.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
I have NEVER prepped new brass, primed or unprimed, of any brand including Federal and have never had a problem with that practice.

Congratulations....however, I always use a Lee Necksizing Die on my new brass.... it just rounds out any necks that may have gotten dinged in the packaging and during handling by people....

It is cheap insurance....

I also have removed the depriming pin in each of my neck sizing dies... I prefer a Universal deprimer in a separate operation....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info, kraky & Grumulkin, that is what I was hoping. I have loaded, used federal and am eagle brass which even those seem to be better than most new winch brass I have been getting.

That is good idea seafire, I have a lee neck collet die, I have taken decap out before to reload some primed rounds that powder was wrong.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerThe problem I have with the .223 primed FC is that it is crimped. For the 20 min. and $1.00 you save up front by getting primed brass you easily blow in depriming and removing the crimp. thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote