New
Find
Notify
Tools

primers for 22 K hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I load several rifles in 22 hornet and use pistol prinmers in them. Accuracy for me is much better than with small rifle primers.

Can I use pistol primers in a 22 K hornet?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've always used rifle primers, but load up a few rounds and give it a go. i think you'll find them a bit flatter than what you want

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you do try pistol primers in your K-Hornet rifle loads, be SURE to wear good eye protection.

Even with the best medical help Obama-care can make your neighbors pay for, an eye is tough to replace. There is a reason rifle primers are made with stronger cups than pistol primers.....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use rifle primers too because my guns, T/C Contenders and Brno 110 hav hard hitting hammers. Also T/C with 9mm Luger barrel; rifle primers. rotflmo

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, when Ted Curtis was still working for Accurate Powders, I had a lengthy call with him over my K-Hornet. He specifically recommended using small pistol primers, as small rifle primer brisance was sufficient to blow groups apart from the diminutive cartridge...

And as far as eye protection, it is always a good idea, but I would remind folks that small pistol primers are used in 357 mag rounds, and the SAAMI max for that cartridge is around 35K cup, if memory serves. That equates to roughly 45000 psi, well above "normal" Hornet pressures, IIRC . But I don't have my load books handy, so I could be all wrong...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried substituting pistol primers for rifle primers in three different Hornets and K-Hornets. I've had no problem with pistol primers, but neither have I enjoyed any improvement from them.

Three examples certainly do not make for statistical certitude, but I've long felt that the pistol primer recommendation was mostly myth with much of the "improvement" a result of the shooter's expectations. If you'll do a blind test of each type of primer I suspect you'll discover no advantage in the pistol type.

No doubt that there are other credible reloaders who will disagree.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although this is about the "K" Hornet this load data (informational only) for the (standard)Hornet with the speer 33gr HP . Check out the primers that are "not" recommended.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/p...talDATA/22h33tnt.pdf

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most everyone knows I'm not a fan of Hornets period .

A recent article concerning little gun and pistol primers did appear in one of the gun Mag rags .

Better accuracy and more consistent pressures were achieved using pistol primers .

Either Guns ,G&A , Rifle shooter or Rifle had that article about 2 issues ago . archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
If you'll do a blind test of each type of primer I suspect you'll discover no advantage in the pistol type.

You do the test. I'll continue using Federal Small Pistol Match primers, and cry about the excellent accuracy I get.