Find
Notify
Tools

Paper patched bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted
I have been wanting to load some paper patched bullets in my 45-70 but don't know where to start. Is there anyone on here that knows of a commercial source for paper patched bullets? Anyone know of a good website that discusses this type of projectile? Anyone have personal experience making/loading these bullets(what kind of paper to use, what diameter bullet prepatch, etc...)?

------------------
Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pumpkinheaver,

I have Matthews book The Paper Jacket and his book he concentrates very on the 45/70.

If you search around on the internet you will turn up a site that is by a bloke who sometimes posts and he only shoots 45/100 with paper patch and black powder.

I have not started yet but I think it will be soon and with probaly either 458 Win or 458 Lott.

Also try posting on www.shooters.com and then go to the "Talk" section which is on list on the left hand side of the opening screen.

Then go to Cast Bullets.

There are also some blokes on

www.huntinfo.com

that use paper patch.

A summary of what I know so far is

1) The cast bullet diameter should be just equal to the distance across the rifling. That is, you could push the bullet down the barrel and it would just the slightest marking from the rifling.

2) The "Patched Diametet" would equal the throat diameter.

3) Alloys that are soft like 1 in 25 tin and lead are used.

Acording to Matthews and others, if done right fine accuracy is obtainable at over 2000 f/s sec with nearly pure lead and killing power is the closest thing to an A Bomb that you can get.

Corbon die also supply presses and dies for swaging the bullets but they are expensive.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a web site:

www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html

Also, try to find a copy of "The Paper Jacket", by Paul Matthews. It will cover most anything you will need to know.

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mr_Magoo>
posted
Check out

http://rceco.com/faqs.htm . It might answer some of your questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another good book written by Mathews is "Forty years with the 45/70" he aslo covers paper patched bullets for the 45/70 in that.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Lyman Cast bullet book, it has a whole section on paper patch bullets.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Forty years with the 45-70 is where I get the itch to try paper patched bullets, they sound like they work great.

------------------
Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana Precision Bullets I is the name of a place in Montana that used to sell ready to shoot PP bullets. I have used some in the past and they shot pretty well. I think they are in Butte.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
<BEJ>
posted
Also, Richard Corbin (swaging) is big on paper patching. Visit his site for a relatively complete rundown.

<eldeguello>
posted
I believe Dixie Gun Works sells paper for patching bullets. Paper patching was used on long-range hunting, and in particular, long-range target bullets, in the late 1800's. BUT, paper patches were finally abandoned for two good reasons: paper patching causes accelerated barrel wear (as opposed to grooved, greased bullets); and paper patches are easily damaged by a little moisture, causing problems for military or hunting use. In addition, it was found that paper-patched bullets are basically no more intrinsically accurate than grooved, greased ones. They are fun to experiment with, however. Bullets can also be patched with teflon plumber's tape as well as paper. Have fun!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pumpkin,
The Folks at Shooters and Huntinfo,answered all of my dumb questions,when I started to paper patch bullets. You can also get some help at Beartoothbullets.com.
Good luck,
Frank

------------------
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
There's a LOT of discussion periodically on the Yahoogroups.com "Cast Bullet List" concerning paperpatching. Some of those old-timers are really hard-core about it, and the guy who runs those lists has created actual Archives so different subjects can be researched by subject.

Me? I'd run out of patience before I got the first bullet diapered....

Paladin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 50 Sharps that refuses to shoot anything but PP,PP is quite involved the Matthews books are very good but do check out Brents web site he is the one that made my 50 shoot.

Regards Martin

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote