New
Find
Notify
Tools

primer--?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what are the best ways to store for later use ? My wife has a food saver that has not been used for some time. I have been thinking could I use that to remove the air from the plastic bag without setting off primers therefore protecting the primers for a longer period of time?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Just as long as they are dry and indoors there really is no special storage needed

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a thing wrong with vacuum packing them. It might be a bit overboard, but that will eliminate any chance of a problem if you have a humidity change. Although Ted is right, I have vacuum packed primers before. It isn't a bad practice, imho...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever I have primers that are decades old nothing done to them except keep them dry.

I use them they go bang.

I guess if one wants to go to the extra trouble have at it.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Also keep them cool - don't let the heat get to them.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I store mine in Tupperware containers. Keeps things dry and it is easy to get some out. Like 7x64 said "keep them cool" Heat is not good.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I store my primers in a tupperware type bucket with a small cup of rice in it to keep them dry.
I have primers from the 1980's and never had any misfire.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i keep mine inside the house in a plactis bowl with a lid.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
My primers and powder are kept in an old refrigerator. I you have the room they make good storage cabinets. Fireproof, heat insulated, sealed to the atmosphere, with a few bags of desiccant your stuff is well protected.
The one I have is a big old side by side. With a hasp, lock and a few chains it was once my "poor man's" gun safe. Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote