New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best powder for 300 Winchester mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am currently using RL 22 with a 165 grain Interbond bullet in my 300 Win Mag. I am considering switching to an IMR powder.Has anyone used IMR 7828 or 4831 with a 165 grain bullet in 300 Win? What kind of velocity do you get, and how did it compare to Rl 22? The barrel on my rifle is only 23" would one of these powders work better in a shorter barrell?

Posts: 130 | Location: Montana | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
Don't change a thing! RL 22 is great!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL 22 will likely be an excellent powder for you. Just be aware that it is famous for lot-to-lot variations, so if you change lots, start over with load development.

IMR 7828 is very close to RL 22 in general burning rate. It will likely do just fine in your .300 magnum, although the 165 grain bullet MIGHT (or might not) be a little light to bring pressures into the optimum range. I've never had any use for IMR 4831, as it is markedly faster than the original and rarely gives velocity-pressure ratios better than IMR 4350. Neither powder will necessesarily be better than RL 22 just because of the length of your barrel.

Posts: 13244 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the velocity of RL22. It's good powder. But, my .300WM LOVES IMR4831 for accuracy. H4350 is also good.

I guess my results are different than Stoneys. I use all of those mentioned. But, IMR4831 is fantastic in my rifle with 150-180gr. bullets. I have found it to be very consistant powder. I havent spent alot of time on a chrony though, as Stonecreek obviously has..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
You already have the best powder, no need to get anything else, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
rl 22...

NOTHING works better
jeffe

Posts: 39624 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use rl22 in a 23 inch barrel, and get 3100 fps with it and it shoots into less than an inch at 100 yards. This with 180 gr sierra flat base. My gun hates boattails for some odd reason.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much deviation can I expect with RL 22 from lot to lot? I've only been reloading for a year, and have had good luck with it so far, but having to develop a new load whenever I get a different powder lot is not something I want to do.

Alliant powder is also $4-5 a pound more than IMR if I buy it locally. Can I get it cheaper online if I have to pay the hazardous material shipping charges? I thought about using IMR 4831 because the Lyman reloading manual showed it to be the most accurate in their 150 grain load. I was thinking of using one powder for both bullet weights.

Posts: 130 | Location: Montana | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot and loaded the .300 Win mag since 1973. I have taken Brown Bear, Elk, Deer with it and now my son and a grandson hunts with it. I loaded IMR-4350, IMR-4831, and IMR-7828 for years with the 7828 being the best of that lot. I then discovered RL-22 and now use it exclusively because in my rifle it is by far the most consistently accurate with maximum speed. I buy my lots 10 pounds at a time with a varience of only 1 to 1.5 grains per load between lots, and sometimes none. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I prefer 180 gr. bullets for all purposes in the .300 Win. Mag. I used to use IMR 4831 and CCI 250 primers in this cartridge, but since 1994 I've used Reloader 22 almost exclusively.

Another powder I've tried recently with results just about identical to Reloader 22 is Winchester's new, imported WXR. I've heard that WXR is nothing more than repackaged Reloader 22, which may or may not be true. No matter, it's a great, near-ideal .300 Win. Mag. powder, and when my batch of Reloader 22 is used up, I'm going to switch to WXR for a while.

I've been told that standard primers-only should be used with the Reloader powders, but when I've tried standard primers to ignite Reloader 22 in my .300 Win. Mag. loads, velocities have been very erratic, and accuracy has suffered. I use Federal 215, Federal 215 M, or Winchester WLRM primers exclusively these days for my .300 Win. Mag. loads. I can count on groups of well under an inch with either of my rifles.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300 WM must be an anomoly. I have used Rel 22 but is was only so so. My rifle likes IMR7828 for heavy bullets, in this case 200gr, and IMR 4350 for 150 and 155 gr. The rifle will will shoot around MOA with either the 200gr SGK or the 150 Rem Corelokt or 155 AMAX.

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only loaded for the 200gr bullets in my 300 Win. and my rifle likes H1000 the best. Just as accurate as H4831 but with a bit more velocity.

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far I've tried RL-22, H870, and H1000.
In my M70 and 200gr partitions it's RL-22 hands down.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A question for all you reloader 22 fans. The temp. in my area can vary quite a bit, & I've heard that reloader 22 is temprature sensitive so have not tired it yet. Have you found this to be true?

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H-4831 with Federal match magnum primers for all bullet weights in my .300 win mag.
Rl-22 gets the same velocities but accuracy is better with H4831.

Current load is 80grains of H-4831, at 3400fps with 165gr Nosler ballistic tips. H-S Precision rifle with a 26" barrel. Excellent accuracy.
This load is max with no pressure signs in my rifle.

With 180 Nosler Partitions I get 3200fps with the same powder and rifle, can't remember how many grains and don't have my load books here at work. Also excellent accuracy.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I have used my ten year-old recipe, .300 Win. Mag., 180 gr. Nosler Partition/Reloader 22/Winchester case/Federal 215 primer loads from Alaska to Mexico (including all the southwestern U.S. states), and from B.C. to Namibia. Temperatures have ranged from - 10F to + 100F. I've used the same basic load and same exact powder charge of Reloader 22 in three different .300 Win. Mag. rifles, with almost identical performance out of all three. I've never experienced or observed one episode that would lead me to believe that pressure variations caused by divergent temperatures, etc. was an issue. I've never had even a slightly sticky bolt lift.

But then I haven't changed lots of powder, either. When I bought my current supply of Reloader 22 over ten years ago, I bought a huge supply of the same lot number. This lot of powder is almost gone now. Once a powder has been established as a performer in a given rifle, I buy all of that lot number I can - at least enough for the life of the barrel.

If you switch lots, rework the load under all temperture conditions. Treat it like it's a whole new powder. It's the only safe way to go.

AD