New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does a lead SWC need any lube?Help..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'am loading my first lead bullets for my 44magnum and have a box of Hornady 240gr.lead swc..do i need any type of lube/wax on these bullets?I dont know if they have a semi-wax on them now or not?Also do/can i still crimp these?
Thanks for any help..

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, lube needed.

Hornady lead bullets are pre-lubricated and cold-swaged.

Yes, you need to crimp them.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
"Hornady lead bullets are pre-lubricated and cold-swaged."

And very very soft, don't try to push them too fast or you'll have some leading issues. Can also be very very accurate with the right load. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch for the help! tu2
I loaded some up an shot them,they shot very good,,i'am right at book max and the manual says at the max load i should be getting around 1000 fps. is this to fast & can i get leading problems with this speed?I feel like i'am going to the" dark side" loading lead bullets,,, rotflmobut will save $$$$ & can shoot 2x as much tu2for double the fun hilbily

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
Thanks a bunch for the help! tu2
I loaded some up an shot them,they shot very good,,i'am right at book max and the manual says at the max load i should be getting around 1000 fps. is this to fast & can i get leading problems with this speed?I feel like i'am going to the" dark side" loading lead bullets,,, rotflmobut will save $$$$ & can shoot 2x as much tu2for double the fun hilbily

That's not necessarily max pressure wise, but cold swaged lead bullets ar very soft & will likely lead w/ the thin, dry lube film if oushed beyond 1000fps. There are many casting outfits out there that make a better bullet for less cost & they can be driven much faster. I routinely drive cast 250grLSWC @ 1300fps w/ no leading & exc accuracy.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
IMHO I'd keep them at a bit below max, but it all depends on your gun and what it likes. And how much fun you have using a Lewis Lead Remover. Wink

If you check around you'll probably find a local person or company where you can buy actual cast bullets for about the same price as the Hornady swaged bullets and then the real fun starts.

Which ever way you go more shooting is always better. Cool

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started reloading 45 colt and found these bullet suppiers.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c2-Bullets.aspx

http://www.laser-cast.com/45Cal.html

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oG...llets.com/plated.htm

I think shipping is free with all three

I also heard microlon wiped in the bore and cylinders will eliminate leading, anyone use it?

http://www.microlon.com/gun_metal_treatment.php

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to Bull-X?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
i should be getting around 1000 fps. is this to fast & can i get leading problems with this speed?
You can get Leading at any velocity, it is a balance between the Alloy, Lubricant used, the particular amont and type of Powder, the alignment of the Cylinder with the Bore and the Bore Condition. Even with all the variables, it is generally fairly easy to achieve a usable Balance with minor Leading.

quote:
...will save $$$$ & can shoot 2x as much tu2for double the fun hilbily
Not only that, but it easily extends the Barrel Life(accuracy) 12-15x.

Lead is excellent Bullet material which is often overlooked. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not only that, but it easily extends the Barrel Life(accuracy) 12-15x.

Lead is excellent Bullet material which is often overlooked. Best of luck to you.

Is this due to lower pressure/temperatures or something else?
Both metals are very soft compared to barrel steel and lubricity is similar, maybe better in coppers favor or so I`ve been told.
wave

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question and I'd say both. Back when I shot a 45ACP a whole lot is when we(as a group) became convinced of the longer barrel life.

It would be an excellent question for someone who currently competes with a 45ACP. It was not uncommon to notice an accuracy loss with Jacketed bullets in 15-25k shots. But we would get 150-250k shots with Lead before the accuracy changed enough that we could be sure it had changed.

I would expect it to be closer to the 150k shot level with a 38Spl Revolver and maybe 75-90k shots with his 44Mag - but that is speculation based on 357Mag and 44Mag experience.

Perhaps it is different "today" with the current components, but that is the way it used to work. If you can shoot enough today(without a sponsor) to be able to wear-out a barrel, you have done real well.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote