New
Find
Notify
Tools

MagnetoSpeed chronograph question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
this chronograph looks interesting especially in its ease of set-up. however, i wonder if having that thing hanging on the end of the barrel in any way causes the rifle to shoot poorly.

do any of you guys have any experience with this product? thanks for your help.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Litz likes the magnetospeed and reports that he has not seen ill effects on accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like using the magspeed too and no effect on accuracy

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the information. it amazes me though that this doesn't effect accuracy. you would think that it would severely dampen barrel vibration. after all, that is the whole theory behind the Browning Boss. the Boss is capable of making very small adjustments to the vibration. by comparison, this device should make an enormous difference. i am glad to hear that it doesn't. but it does make me wonder about the actual value of the Boss. thanks again for the help. being able to chronograph rounds without all the wires is gonna be a dream come true.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot one enough to say whether or not it affect the size of the groups but it sure as hell changed the POI with the 2 loads I shot it with. A friend showed up at the range with one and they're very cool and very accurate!

If something "flopping" around on the end of the barrel doesn't negatively affect accuracy then I don't know what will.

The damn think was deadly accurate with regards to speed but I'd only use one to check speed, not groups or POI.

There,
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Magneto Speed for a few months now. I have been working up loads for a 450/400 NE that has a fairly heavy barrel. I have not noticed any accuracy difference with this rifle. If you were shooting something with a very light barrel, I am sure it would make a difference in your point of aim.

Zeke, if the Magneto Speed is "flopping around on the end of the barrel", it's not on properly. There should be no movement in the device.

I believe the Magnet Speed to be very accurate. Once you set it up a couple of times, it is very simple to operate.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay. That's why I "quoted" "flopping". I was making an exaggerated statement.

Impala#03, Your 450/400 resembles nothing of my #2 Lilja chambered in 280AI so therein lies our differences.

I suppose that with a heavy enough barrel or low enough standards (LOL, I couldn't resist that one) that hanging something on the end of the barrel won't affect POI or accuracy.

Me thinks the magneto is a very cool gadget and it's accuracy and usefulness isn't in question but from my limited experience it's not going to shoot with the same POI as an un-weighted barrel.

If anyone has an example of this NOT changing their POI, more power to them. I believe them but I believe me even more.

Love, Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I beg your indulgences beforehand but nowhere, at least nowhere I have read, that there is any guarantee of an unchanged POI.
The device measures velocity-that's it. I have put many hundreds of rounds over a MS 2 and every single rifle POI moves-the further the range the greater likelihood of a Delta in POI.

I view this as a method to garner muzzle velocity--period.
Once I have a load that meets my requirements for accuracy, I see what the velocity and spread is then I tweak COL if I like what it is running at.

I realize that there are individuals who wish to tune a load with it on but it WILL alter the POI.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke and gab,

I agree totally, the Magneto Speed is a tool for measuring velocity only. If you used all the time and then did not check for a difference in POI, that would be a low standard.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote