New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on Loading 404 Jeffery.
 Login/Join

<GAHUNTER>
posted
Finally! I just got my 404 Jeffery dies in the UPS shipment. Only took three months from Old Western Scrounger (back ordered). Why they sent me a three die set, I'll never know. Can't for the life of me figure out what the third (unstamped) die is for.

Now I need some loading info. Anyone know the maximum and trim-to lengths of the 404 brass? I've got a couple of boxes of factory loads but the brass in them is considerably shorter than the Norma brass I got to reload with.

I also need some suggested loads. I know Ray likes IMR 4831. If my recollection is right, he says he starts at 87 grains and goes as high as 93 grains. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for a load that will launch a 400-grain Woodleigh soft point out around 2400 fps. What about Woodleigh solids, though? I understand that solids increase pressure and I might need to cut my load back a little, is this true?

Any loading data you share will be greatly appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gahunter,

We have the maximum case length at 2.875-inches, trim-to length at 2.865-inches and max OAL at 3.530-inches.

Regards,
Ed

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Reloading Pages on this board have some loads for the 404.

My starting load with 416/404 with RL15 is 71 grains.

My starting load with 416/404 with IMR 4320 was 67 grains.

My starting load with 416/404 with AA4350 was 80grs.

The bullet weight in all cases was 400grs. The 404 bullet is a .423 caliber vs. the .416, so all of the loads above should be appropriate starting loads. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry-Doubled up! K-d

[ 07-12-2002, 05:52: Message edited by: Ku-dude ]

<GAHUNTER>
posted
Okay. My Norma brass is all 2.865 out of the box. When I full-length resize it, it stretches to 2.872 to 2.875. Should I go ahead and trim it all to the shortest individual length in order for all my brass to start uniform? Or should I just load it all with the .003 difference and tim it uniform after fire forming it?

I'm going to try crimping this round with the bullet seater (something I've never done before). Any tips on this operation will be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I get less pressure and better accuracy with IMR-4831 and I have gone up to 95 grs. in a number of rifles....

My standard load is 93 grs. and it is very mild indeed and gives me about 2450 plus FPS...I get some awsome velocities but I shoot 26 and 27" barrels, or did. I sold one of them recently...the 95 gr. load at 2653 FPS created some flack from some, but they had not shot it and I reloaded one case 14 time stright and trimmed it 4 times without incident, and that satisfied me...I shoot 98 Mausers of the best quality.

I am prestently shooting the Mauser 98 Guild rifle, an Obendorf action and it's pretty slim, trim and light so I use the 87 to 90 gr. loads because of recoil...I might use the 93 gr. load for Buffalo....The 95 gr. load makes my lips flutter for about 20 minutes after each shot and scares Jim Brockmon and Jack Belk to death because I always slip them a 95er for fun and games....I love to watch them slobber all over themselves...

I got that 95 gr. load from Holt Bodison (?) the gun writer in some article and have been shooting it for about 14 years or so...Used in a short 22" barrel it gets a hair over 2400 in the one short rifle I chronographed it in.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I load some weird things in my 404. Cast 400gr .410 projectiles paper patched up to .425 with 2 wraps of "bank 60" paper.

400gr 410 jacketed projectile (designed for the 416's) rolled between two files leaves a knurled finish that can will stick to a paper patch.

Both these projectiles can be loaded to 2100fps for a cheap practice load. The PP lead when made from pure are really devasting on wild pigs.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Hey GA, how did that 300WSM project come out?

<GAHUNTER>
posted
Bigcountry,

Boy did you hit upon a sore subject! What is today, July 15? Well lets see here, it's July 15 and the rifle that was promised me in February is still not finished yet. We're making progress, though, the rifle is in town (as opposed to Boone, North Carolina, where the gunsmith who mated the barrel and action lives). But my cousin (the custom gun retailer)got it back and it wouldn't feed, so he's having his local guy alter the magazine.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to have it in time to break it in before my moose hunt in September.

Other than that, the WSM project is going fine!

(By the way, aren't you from Maryland? What's this Kentucky stuff I see on your profile?)

<bigcountry>
posted
GA, I am a man without a home kinda. I work in MD for a company and spend alot of time there and have a residence there. But also, have a residence in KY and spend the other part there where I lived my whole life. I spend alot of time on a plane so my most accurate residence is Holiday Inn in the West. Going thru a divorce right now, so it makes it more complicated. Hey, I am in Atlanta all the time, if you get that gun shooting well, I would like to see those clover leafs it makes. Sorry man about your luck. I am in the same boat kinda. I had that Rem. 700 300RUM shooting like a champ and decided it was a swell idea to use Tubbs fire lapping kit. It ruined the barrel. My groups opened up from .8" to 1.5-2". So I have ordered a Krieger barrel, but I may not have time to work up a load and get the barrel parkerized. So I will take my 2" groups to newfoundland and not worry about it. See Ya,

[ 07-17-2002, 03:07: Message edited by: bigcountry ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Over all lenth: 3.530
Max lenth: 2.875
Trim Lenth: 2.865
Twist: normal, 16.54 RH
Groove Dia: .423
Bore Dia: .412

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<GAHUNTER>
posted
Ray,

Thanks for the info. It was the public testament of your love for the old 404 that lead me to the Jeffery in the first place. I was especially swayed by the fact that you can get factory .416 ballistics by handloading the Jeffery.

I'm not real pleased with my first loads, however. The Norma brass I'm using seems awfully rough. The rims don't want to fit well in my #41 RCBS trimmer shell holder. Consequently, many of my case mouths are not square, something you can see real well when a bullet is inserted to the cannalure. I'm going to go ahead and shoot them and trim them again. I'll try to do a better job this next time.

By the way, What kind of trajectory will I get with the 400-grain Woodleighs out to about 200 yards. If it's not too severe, I may try to use the 404 to take my Hartmanns mountain zebra. I understand that 200-yard shots are common when hunting this species. The extra umph of the Jeffery would be just the ticket for these tough animals.