THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Looking for 7mm Rem SAUM load to duplicate 7mm-08

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 7mm Rem SAUM load to duplicate 7mm-08
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a Rem 700 in 7mm SAUM a couple of years ago, and I've decided to use it for deer hunting next season. I don't need the magnum velocity for the land I hunt. Has anyone tried to load down a SAUM to 7mm-08 velocity? Ideally I would like to use Accurate 4350, as I have a good supply. I'd probably use 140 grain bullets. Any wisdom would be appreciated. I know, I'd be better off buying a 7mm-08, but I don't want to have to buy another rifle if I get the performance I want from the one I already have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
56.0 grain of H4350 is around 2900 fps with a 140 grain bullet. If it is too fast for what you want move up to a 160 grain or a 175 at around 2600.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't own a 7 mm SAUM and have never loaded for one. I suggest that if you don't get any answers you like the sound of, here, you might do one or both of two things:

1.Pick a powder distributor such as Western Powders or Hodgdon, and ask them that question by phone, and/or

2. Ask someone you know who has Quik-Load (Sp?) to use it to calculate you a starting load.

If you can, you might even do both and compare the two.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Accurate's site shows 54 as a starting load with the 140s for 2840. QL calls it 2828 @48000psi

http://www.accuratepowder.com/...20v3.3%20version.pdf

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingFor what it's worth the Lee manual recommends 54gr. H380behind the 140gr,bullet for 2869fps.That is just on the high side for the 7-08,. Although I don't tell you to do it but I would try 55gr. of H4350 for close to the same velocity. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote