Find
Notify
Tools

Fireforming without bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted
I'd like to know good and safe recipes to fireforming virgin brass without using a bullet in order to keep wear from this operation at a minimum.

I've heard that some benchrester do this in their PPCs using pistol powders with no bullets at all, as one of the various fireforming methods.

Specifically I'm interested in .300WinMag and .243Win

tks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a pistol primer, starting with 13 grains of Bullseye for the .300, 11 grains for the .243, 1/4 sheet of toilet paper separated in layers and tamped down on the powder, fill with cornmeal or grits, and a neck plug of 1/8" wax or bullet lube. Point the muzzle in the air and let go, .........if not blown out sufficiently, increase powder charge by 2 grains. Finally. trim the case to specs. ~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
.........or you can use another wad of TP as the "bullet", as I do. That just prevents accidents and the cereal spilled in your chamber and action.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
BTW, these are as loud as a regular round so if you live in a subdivision be careful.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
BTW, these are as loud as a regular round so if you live in a subdivision be careful.

They are also messy, blowing cream-of-wheat and paper chaff all over the place.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote