Find
Notify
Tools

BHN of jacketed bullet cores
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Has anyone with a BHN tester tried testing the hardness of jacketed bullet cores? Im curious as to wether or not a guy could make tougher jacketed bullets by simply heat treating/water quenching them. The apparent lack of 8mm bullet selection got me wondering about a simple way to build a better bullet.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Core hardness varies depending on how much tin and antimony it contains, and some is pure unalloyed lead. For example, Sierra uses a lot harder core material in their 300 grain .375 Magnum bullet than they do in varmint bullets!

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eldeguello,

Let me be more specific, I have some 175 grn 8mm Sierra Pro hunters, could they be made tougher by heat treating followed by water quenching?

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Only if the core contains antomoy (it probably does) and a little arsenic. Ask Sierra what the alloy comp is!!

Just out of curiousity, what super maggie are you shooting this in, to need a hjarder core? I'm curious because I also use, and like, this particular 8mm bullet!

[ 07-21-2003, 19:53: Message edited by: eldeguello ]