THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need 6.5x284 dies..How do you get em? Redding "S" Series

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need 6.5x284 dies..How do you get em? Redding "S" Series
 Login/Join

<rman>
posted
I know, sounds silly, however, I'm looking at getting a set of Redding "S" series dies with the bushing neck sizer. The instructions ask you to measure the neck of a loaded cartridge, then send the company your measurement and pick out your bushings. Sounds great, but how are you supposed to load the ammo, with out purchasing the dies first? Am I missing something? Show me the way, or who else has good dies (bench rest) I called RCBS and they dont have em.
Thanks.

------------------

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
rman,
Who cut the chamber? The big difference here is if the reamer was ground for neck turned brass or factory brass. Which ever it is call whomever chambered the barrel and find out what the reamer dimension is for the neck. You may have to neck turn to a specific diameter and allow for the bullet seating and springback.

Call your smith first then let's work this through carefully.

Bill

<rman>
posted
Thanks for the help Bill. Terrible thing when you have a rifle built, get all the goodies to-gether and can't figure out what dies to get. I called the gun smith, he says that he used a standard, factory 6.5x284 reamer. I was able to seat a bullet in a new Norma case, and, to the best of my ability came up with a measurement of .290
Hope that helps.

------------------

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
rman,

That's a good thing, but you hate to take anything for granted.

The bushing that you need to order is 0.288" to allow for some springback in the brass and yet leave some neck tension to hold the bullet. Please bear in mind that these bushings only size about 2/3 to 3/4 of the neck. This is supposed to leave a bit of the neck at chamber size to help with alignment.

Now, an easy way to do this for a double check is to order this through Sinclair Intl. so that when you call to order this die you tell the person on the other end of the phone what you are trying to do. These people are all shooters and know what to ask and how to help solve these problems.

www.sinclairintl.com
(219) 493-1858

They may come up with a different answer so go with what they recommend.

Let me know if I can help more.

Bill