Find
Notify
Tools

Re: moly coating
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
i been using mos2 super fine for a couple years in my .308 long range and the thing just shoot great. i clean it about ever 60 rounds or so, kroil and shooterschoice.
after i shot 30 rounds or so when the barrel was new, then switched over after a good cleaning.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey mcshreeve, I believe you will find that people who tend to shoot a whole lot use MOS2 and love it. Most are more than willing to put up with the small amount of extra effort needed to peen it into the surface, season the barrel and maintain the barrel.

On the other side are folks that tend to have their rifles out for only 3-7 days a year, shoot anywhere from 2-15 shots and that is it. In that situation, I agree with those above who say it just isn't worth the effort for them.

Quote:

I moly coat my High Power bullets. It reduces the fouling during a match making my zeroes more consistent, and makes the barrel easier to clean. Either one of those would make it worth the trouble. I don't coat my hunting bullets. Too much work for little appreciable benefit. ...

Unlike Fast Ed, I quit shooting competition long, long ago. But, I do agree with his post. The only difference being I end up normally shooting lots of Bullets through my Hunting rifles year round.

All of my rifles are used for Hunting with no SAFE Queens like some of the other folks in this thread dolt on.

Back when I initially got interested in Moly, I was taking Precision Shooting magazine and watching the comments of some people who's opinions I respect. One was Walt Berger. In his Bullet Ad each month he mentioned the number of Bullets that had passed through his wife's BenchRest rifle "with no sign of accuracy degredation". I believe it was up between 4K-5K back then.

And Precision Shooting had an article(also a Link which is dead now) about NORMA doing some testing with Moly coated bullets in some kind of a HOT 6.5mm. They were up around 10K "with no appreciable group enlargement".

So, I got into it for myself and am very happy with the results. I have a 7mm-08 that is one of those special factory rifles that likes anything you put in it. I was really dreading the day it would(will) need the barrel replaced. By using Moly coated Bullets in it, it continues to shoot very small groups.

---

MOS2 on the Bullets does not mean you can quit cleaning the barrel. You still have to do it, but it takes only 5-10 minutes at the most. And I lightly lube the Bore with a Moly containing grease once it is clean. Then a couple of dry patches to remove any excess and I'm done.

---

If you shoot a lot, it has some good benefits. If you have nothing but SAFE Queens, then it probably is not worth the effort.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I moly coat my High Power bullets. It reduces the fouling during a match making my zeroes more consistent, and makes the barrel easier to clean. Either one of those would make it worth the trouble. I don't coat my hunting bullets. Too much work for little appreciable benefit.

Fast Ed

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote