New
Find
Notify
Tools

6-284 powder question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm fighting with a 6-284 trying to get it to shoot decent groups. Currently I am using IMR 4831. I'm seeing a pattern here with several bullets in the 75 to 100 grain range. While working up loads, every time the accuracy becomes acceptable, I get pressure signs. (sticky bolt lift and shiny spots on the base of the brass).

My question is this. Would I be better off trying to go with a slower powder
ie RE 22 or should I go with a faster burning powder such as H-414? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
since the accuracy increases with velocity i would go to the slower powder to keep the pressures down and increase the velocity.
if this doesn't improve the accuracy then your accuracy is pressure related somehow [which i doubt] most rifles do best at a lower than maximum pressure load with a powder that fills the case.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I suspected but it's alot easier to ask the question on here than go off experimenting on your own.

And you were correct, I tried R-22 this afternoon and it's working as well as anything has worked in this rifle so far. Unfortunately, after loading up 50 rounds, I'm now out of this powder and will have to hunt around for it. Damn hoarders.

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Try the IMR 7828 as well, but many folks like H1000... didn't work for me. Light bullets (70 - 75's) should be ok with IMR 4831 or the H 4831 .

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
IMR 4831 is what I use for 95 grain bullets in my 6mm Ackley, so for the 70 grain bullets it should be optimum, but you probably want a slower powder for the heavier bullets.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
For the 100 grain bullets I use H4350

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H 4350 was a no go. Poor accuracy from mild loads to when I gave on that powder. This rifle is the most finicky bitch I've ever dealt with. RE-22 seems the way to go right now.
H-1000 might be good too but unfortunately, right now the stores don't have an unlimited supply of powder.

Migra

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find some RL-17 might work in that thing.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Migra, if you have the room, try seating your bullets out a bit. I found on the one 6x284 I fooled with, it just wouldn't show really good accuracy until I got the bullets seated out there close to the lands. This has not been the case in most all of my other rifles, I have usually been able to adjust powder charge and get good accuracy. I have rebarreled to 6.5 in this particular rifle, and it shot well a lot easier, so saying your's is picky is deja' vu for me.....
BTW, I found V V N-150 to work well for that rig.

good luck to you!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote