New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a differnce changing bullets, I mean will it change my chamber pressure to use a different bullet say substitue a 225 grn X for a 250 gr round nose?

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will change your chamber pressures.
So will........
Changing brands of bullets in the same weight.
Changing brands of brass will change your pressures.
Changing brands or types of primers will change your pressure.
Using the same load in a different rifle will change the pressure.
Changing the component "lot #" can change your pressure.
Changing the seating depth can change the pressure.
Changing your socks won't change the pressure

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
Yes, it will change your chamber pressures.
So will........
Changing brands of bullets in the same weight.
Changing brands of brass will change your pressures.
Changing brands or types of primers will change your pressure.
Using the same load in a different rifle will change the pressure.
Changing the component "lot #" can change your pressure.
Changing the seating depth can change the pressure.
Changing your socks won't change the pressure

TG - You left out a change in temperature can change your pressure.

I wonder if shooting up hill or down hill changes it too?

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoops, I left out one too!

Crimping or not crimping can change your pressure.

------------------

<eldeguello>
posted
The preceding answers indicate that changing ANY component, including bullets, will probably change your chamber pressure. But, what you have proposed, substituting a 225- grain bullet in a load currently using a 250-grain bullet will, in all probability, LOWER the pressure of the load....! If you substitute a different make/style bullet of the same weight, it could conceivably increase the pressure of your load, and if you INCREASE the bullet weight, you will generally get higher pressures. For all these rules, there are exceptions. THAT IS WHY IT IS RECOMMENDED TO RE-DEVELOP YOUR LOAD, STARTING AT A LOWER POWDER CHARGE AND WORKING UP SLOWLY, EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE A COMPONENT OF A PREVIOUSLY PROVEN LOAD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dark Pal - ElD is correct in his comments as well...as were all the rest. I hope our answers have not sounded flippant or smart ass to your serious question. None were intended that way, I'm sure. Some of us try to inject a touch of levity to our comments just to break up the humdrum of things. But the answers are still serious.

The bottom line is as ElD suggests, if you change anything in reloading, it will have an effect in other areas...sometimes several areas at once. Pressure is just one of them. Changes can also effect accuracy, feeding, case life, etc. etc.

As I believe you said you are new to reloading, I say welcome to you. It's a fascinating hobby. Just do your homework, read and study the books and pay attention to what you are doing. Work UP to things and don't try to skate on the razor's edge. And you will live happily ever after.
This hobby doesn't take any rocket scientist to do...just a little common sense. You are showing a lot of sense by asking questions. There is a lot of talent and experience in these forums and 99% of the members will be glad to help you.

Go for it!

By the way, what guns are you reloading for?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pecos45 (edited 05-08-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two relaly good books/manuals available you should read...(1) the A-Square loading manual...not so much for the load infor but for the technical discussions in the front...(2) the Sinclair International Reloading Manual...about 75 pages on precision reloading....both are really great.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im re-loading my 358 norma got a barnes book today, looking into those x-bullets.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote