Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with HS-6
 Login/Join

posted
I just started back into reloading and I bought a pound of HS-6 to reload .40 cal. In my Speer manual the range for a 180gr bullet was between 7.3 and 8.1 I think it was. (I'm at work now). I loaded up 10 rounds each of 7.3, 7.5, 7.8 and 8.1. the 8.1 which was the top charge grouped much better. My problem is that I now see on the Hodgdon web site the load range is from 6.1 to a max of 6.9. Why such a difference and are the 8.1 loads too hot? The fired casings showed no sign of excessive pressure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
check out stevespages link below..it shows 8.2 max goodluck hope this helps! tu2

http://stevespages.com/400p_2_180.html

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Different bullets often give different results and are the bigger variable in most loads. Hodgdon used a Hornady bullet, and Speer used theirs. Interestingly Hornady with the same bullet Hodgdon used lists 7.6gr as max in their manual..
I always try to stay with data for the exact bullet I`m using if at all possible, if not I check as many sources as possible and "average" a max load that I then don`t exceed.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you chronograph the loads? if not, do you have a chrono? It might give you some good insights into the load you want to use.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a chronograph but want to add one when possible. Thanks Joe I was wondering what was listed in the Hornady manual. There is such a large swing in the Max load I was very concerned.