New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOAD DINSITY
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what is the medium load density that you prefeer for any given rifle cartage that you load.?

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
100% for BP.
As close to 100% as possible for high power rifle loads.
Whatever fits for reduced loads.

So in essence, it depends!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't care but I don't use fast powders in rifle cartridges either (double rifles are excluded because we don't have cordite). So it ends up being 90-100% fill. And, of course, BP has to be 100 plus percent, compressed being better.

Posts: 17264 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
80-100% is always the best for smokeless powder. The closer to 100% you can get the better burn consistency is achieved.
Black powder-compressed 100% density.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well for accuracy I've had my best luck with filling the case at least to the shoulder junction or half way up the neck and with near max or max loads..Its not critical, but its a good safety precaution to load bulk powder and you will never toss a double charge..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well for accuracy I've had my best luck with filling the case at least to the shoulder junction or half way up the neck and with near max or max loads..Its not critical, but its a good safety precaution to load bulk powder and you will never toss a double charge..

Works for me.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm I would guess most of my load densities for rifles are in the 90-105% range. Average more in the 96% or so.

I HATE fast powders in a rifle. Too me 4895 is fast.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually prefer 103 to nor more than 110% load density. Don't want serious compaction, but I don't want any airspace either so the above works for me and that's where I have always found my best accuracy...max or near max loads with full cases and slight compaction are a good recipe for a rifles best accuracy. Example is 59 to 60 grs. of IMR or H4831 in the 30-06, depending on the rifles chamber. More than that and the powder will push the bullets out a bit in a day or two in most guns. With my old surplus 4831 (1950 stuff) I can load 62 grs. with the 180 gr. bullets, get more than 100 FPS velocity and less pressure, that was Jack O'Connors pet load..you can't get that much of the new stuff in a case I don't thi much of the new 4831 in a case. 4831 is a super safe powder, more velocity and less pressure than any other powder on the market today.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote