New
Find
Notify
Tools

comparing Nosler to Remington brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm beginning to put some loads together and for the first time am going to use some Nosler brass. Upon weighing a once-fired Nosler case to a once-fired Remington case of the same caliber, the Nosler weighs considerably less. Based on this difference, can I assume that Nosler case capacity is greater and one can likely safely utilize higher powder charges in load development? I've always used winchester brass in other calibers in which this is the case. Please share your experience using Nosler brass. thank you.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
the weight difference could be almost any part of the brass. Volume is the result you need to know. I use a ball powder and fill the case to the top weigh the powder for several cases each and see how much the weight of the powder changes from one brand to another.
I use fire formed cases and find that between Remington and Winchester brass the difference was about 1 to 2 tenths of a grain

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
If you are loading near the max powder charge to the point where case volume is going to make a difference, you need a chronograph. Otherwise you are dancing on the ragged edge with a blindfold.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"assume" Very bad word to use when dicking around with reloading. Some folks drop back a couple of grains when they open a new batch of powder until they see if it's "EXACTLY" like the old batch. As posted, you need a chrony. For a hundred bucks, you can take a lot of "assume" out of your efforts.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course start low anyway, as usual when working up loads.
As for case capacity, since the outside dimensions are the same, then any variation can only come from inside, giving more capacity. So, when you are working up loads, that will show up and might allow more powder.
But definitely do not jump into the deep end and just assume you can just add more powder from the start. I am sure you know that.
Working up loads is not blind; use the usual pressure signs when doing it; case capacity will reveal itself.
Oh, I see your actual question was about Nosler brass.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I like Nosler brass but I have only used it in a few calibers...260 Rem & 338/06.
Not all of it is made in-house though. Two different Nosler peeps (one just a few days ago) told me that Norma makes some of it. My 338/06 brass is for sure Norma, don't know about the .260.
I have 2 or 3 firings on some of it and it's still going.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote