New
Find
Notify
Tools

kimber wants fired formed brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My kimber 270 wsm shows a drastic improvement in accuarcy with formed brass.

A load that will shoot 1/4 - 1/2" with formed brass shoots 1 - 1 1/2" with new brass.

I've never seen the difference between new brass and formed brass be this drastic, but it is in this rifle. I went to norma brass thinking this might help. The norma seems to be a better brass than the R-P as far as flash holes and case varation, but it didn't on the new verses formed issue.

The headspace on the new normas seems to be .007 less than a fired case.

Is there an effective way to fire form cases without loading them with bullets? With the price of components shooting 100 rds. just to get the brass to shoot good isn't cheap , waste barrel life and isn't much fun with a 270 wsm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There really is no way to fire form brass for a particular rifle without shooting it.

IMO, to reduce the costs would mean purchasing some of the cheapest bullet you can find and using a reduced load of a faster powder for specifically that purpose. There is no need to use premium bullets and full loads of your "good" powder just to fireform.

Since I do not load for the .270 WSM, I have no load suggestions to offer, but I am sure others on the forum will provide you with some info.

Posts: 119 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 25 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a headpace issue causing the problem with new brass....you could run a 30 calibre expander plug through the new brass and the run the brass through your die.

Posts: 425 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 08 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered just using a full load of the slowest burning powder you can find or have on hand and get some blemished bullets and use this an opportunity for some great off hand practice?
I gave up along time ago trying to work on accuracy loads with new brass because I had similar results as you have posted. I always once fire my brass before working up any loads.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe I see your problem: you would be happier if it shot 3/4" with once-fired brass.

I think my next rifle will be a Kimber. Is yours for sale? Count your blessings. You have one hell of a gun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skunk:
Is there an effective way to fire form cases without loading them with bullets?

You can fireform without a bullet using cream of wheat. More information here:

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44908&highlight=wheat

Here is how one Benchrest.com member described fireforming with the c-o-w method;

quote:
The way i fireform cases with the Cream of Wheat is this.Use 5 grains of red dot powder in a 6BR size case as a starting load.10 grains in a 30-06 size case and 13 grains in a 300 Weatherby size case.Fill the remainder of the case with C.O.W until it reaches the neck-shoulder junction and add a piece of toilet paper to keep it from spilling out.It usualy takes a quarter of one sheet.If your shoulders look rounded and not crisp add more powder going up in 1 grain increments until you get your shoulders looking good.Don't use the instant packages get the regular stuff as the instant stuff is very fine,messy and expensive.
You don't need to clean the gun until you are done fireforming all your cases.You do need to take your time though as even those light charge will heat up a 1.450 inch barrel after repeated firings.
Lynn

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there an effective way to fire form cases without loading them with bullets? With the price of components shooting 100 rds. just to get the brass to shoot good isn't cheap , waste barrel life and isn't much fun with a 270 wsm

I'm having trouble seeing the problem. You spent the extra $$ for a Kimber. Then paid double for Norma brass. Now you have issues with an extra $30/100 to reduce groups by that much? Confused I have used COW. It works. I normally use bullets now days.

Go to Midway they have 270 seconds for less than $10/100 load up your new cases and fire them for practice. Unless you are going to do one heck of a lot of shooting 100 cases will last the life of the rifle. In a hunting rifle 100 rds out of the 10,000+ rd life is nothing. Since you don't care that much for the recoil that barrel will last you forever.

As suggested I would also neck a few cases up and form a false shoulder for a tigher fit and check the results.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use corn meal and a fast pistol powder, then a wad of toilet paper stuffed in the case neck as mho explained. Sit on a chair, rest the rifle butt on your thigh, point the muzzle skyward and pull the trigger. Poof!!! As mentioned, the barrel will heat up after a few shots. Don't rush the process.

I use this method to fireform 223 Rem into Ackley Improved cases, and 35 Whelen cases into 338-06 Ackley Improved.

Try it. Not a big investment in materials. Heck, you can eat the leftovers.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] Go to Midway they have 270 seconds for less than $10/100 load up your new cases and fire them for practice. Unless you are going to do one heck of a lot of shooting 100 cases will last the life of the rifle. In a hunting rifle 100 rds out of the 10,000+ rd life is nothing. Since you don't care that much for the recoil that barrel will last you forever.

I went through 500 rds. of various sorts just to find the 1 load to date this rifle will shoot under 1 minute of angle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skunk:
I went through 500 rds. of various sorts just to find the 1 load to date. This rifle will shoot under 1 minute of angle!

So you have plenty of once-fired brass.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
went through 500 rds. of various sorts just to find the 1 load to date this rifle will shoot under 1 minute of angle!

As I said. Forming with bullets is not that expensive. If you fired 500rds why do you not have formed brass? From the comment in your first post that firing a 270wsm was not that much fun I assumed you would not fire 1000s of rds through it.

I seriously doubt that a normal shooter would ever shoot out a barrel in a non-varmint rifle. The COW method will form your brass. If you over heat the barrel it can cause damage and shorten life as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote