New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Forming 7mm-08 brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While I have not had occasion to make 7-08 ammo from 308 cases I cannot imagine a much simpler procedure.

The cases are so nearly identical that I see no reason you could not simply run 308 brass through your 7-08 dies and have at it.

For lots of years people made 25-06 brass from 30-06 cases with little problems. I made a bunch of 25-06 cases from 270 Winchester brass and the only problem with that was that they were too long and needed trimmed quite a bit.

The only thing at all that I would check for is to make sure the necks do not thicken in resizing. In some cases necking cases down causes the necks to thicken. However, this is such a small reduction I cannot imagine that being a problem.

Should work fine, I have a buddy who makes 6.5 X 308 ammo all the time by just necking down 308 cases.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pick up all the police Federal Match 308 brass that they are kind enough to put back in the boxes and just run it through my 7mm-08 size die. It comes out a little short so you don't have to trim a while as a bonus. No Problems.

Posts: 1523 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a ton of .308 brass. What all is envolved in forming it to the 7-08? Runnins it through a size die? Or more to it?? Thanks!

Posts: 125 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote