Find
Notify
Tools

.376 Steyr
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
I borrowed a .376 Steyr ProHunter from the US importer for a hunt in Zimbabwe on the promise of an article in African Hunter about it. I used the Hornady factory load (their 270 grain Spire Point bullet). I didn't have time to do any realoading as both the rifle and the ammo arrived two days before I left. I liked it enough so that I bought it after returning.

The cartridge is derived from the 9.3X64, and is 9.5X60 in metric terms.

I plan to develop reloads with Gerhard's GS 270 gr FN solid, the Speer 285 Grand Slam, the Speer 300 grain African Grand Slam and the 300 grain AGS tungsten solid. These are bullets I have on hand. So far I have data for BL-C#2 and Varget.

Is anyone else loading this cartridge?

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Not to be the bearer of bad news but it has been announced that the .376 will be discontinued.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Tompkins (edited 12-01-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Better buy all the brass you can find. This discontinued business may be good maybe bad, who knows. In a dozen years or so youmay have a real collectors item. good hunting "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Infidel>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Tompkins:
Not to be the bearer of bad news but it has been announced that the .376 will be dicontinued.

Who announced it, please, and where?

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Steyr has discontinued the .376 Steyr chambering in the Steyr Scout rifle due to poor sales; I thought at the time that it was a ppoor match for that rifle (I have one in .308 Win).

They will continue to chamber the .376 Steyr in the ProHunter version of the SBS 96 rifle. Also Hornady will continue to make the ammunition.

jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Infidel>
posted
Thank you. Both GSI and Steyr still list the .376 Scout rifle on their Web pages, and Hornady still lists the ammunition and dies, and Midway still offers the Hornady brass.

I hope to get a rifle built for the cartridge early next year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/376steyr-frame.htm

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<matchless>
posted
Bill:

Who is going to discontinue the .376 Steyr? Steyr or Hornady? I have two of these rifles and I am planning to load it also. I have the dies, I just need to get with it. I've been thinking that it might be interesting to rechamber one of the rifles for a shortened wildcat version of the 8 x 68s case. The Hirtenberger and RWS brass for this cartridge is really nicely made.

Matchless

one of us
posted Hide Post
matchless, do i understand You correct? You want to make a .375x68S? I think if You shorten the case too much, You will get nothing over the .376 Steyr.

The 9.3x64 case is ~ .512 at the base and the 8x68S is .540. Next size is .580 ( .404 ), then Rigby.

IMHO You should try for the full lenght x68 case, if it fits. Keep us posted about the results.

Good shooting! H

------------------

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
All,

I'm not trying to start rumors or use scare tactics, my original post was too short, so let me backtrack to find the articles that I read regarding the dropping of this cartridge. I know that it's hard to believe, but I have an enormous amount of reading material to get through each month just trying to stay even in this trade.

Bill

<Dillis>
posted
i would like to get some data on the 376steyr with vitavuori powders so if any one likes to help me im greatful

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aHunter:
The 9.3x64 case is ~ .512 at the base and the 8x68S is .540.

No so.
.5236 (13.30 mms)

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano, I was typing from memory - always a mistake. I think the order of cases dia at base ( ~ powder space for wildcatting, assuming approx same case lenght, further assuming all cases may be blown out and or shortened ):

9.3x64 and H & H belted case
8x68S and 6.5x68
.416 Rigbby and large Weatherby belted case.

Correct me, but perhaps I gave the measurement of the .404?

Thanks anyway Hermann

------------------