New
Find
Notify
Tools

LYMAN GRUB SCREWS ....... HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went down to my local gunshop,here in the UK, and they gave me a Lyman case trimmer. They said it had been lying round for ages and they could not remember what was wrong with it. A customer braught it in ages ago and they exchanged it.
Well one of the grub screws ,for the length setting guage, is only 3.14mm long and it could be up to half inch long ..... well because its so short someone must have over tightened it and stripped the threads, the last 3mm or so of them.
If its of any help its 4.15mm wide across the threads.
I don't suppose anyone has a supply of the above size that they could sell me please. Its not something my local hardware store sells and I have asked the next best bloke I know who may have had one ,but alas ,he does not. I have also asked on my local Gun Forum and they have said that the size is an American size and no obtainable here in the UK. I know I could drill it but I do not want to if I don't have to, I can wait.
I am happy to meet any expense, ie postage etc.
I do not want to pay £60.00 for a new one Eeker
Many thanks in advance,
Axl

Rhodesian in UK Armed forces.
They stole my Farm, but not my African Spirit!

Posts: 42 | Location: Rhodesian in Wiltshire UK | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Here is Lyman's web page.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/

You may have success by e-mailing them for the part. They are kind of spotty on their customer service. Also, "grub screw" is not a common term here in the USA, so a description of the screw in inches and perhaps a digital photo would help.

Best of luck to you.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trimmer Parts - Set Screw 8-32 x 1/8 (Each)
$0.25

You should be able to get a set screw or grub screw like that locally.

Shipping to the UK from Lyman would make that $0.25 part pretty expensive.

Call a local gunsmith. They'll charge you too much for it..... but you should always make friends with your local gunsmith! Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the response gents,
I have asked on my local internet forum and may have one or two leads from there, but we will see.
I still have the origional screw, its too short and need a longer one. Lyman can supply an origional one the same as the one I have. That would be of no use to me.
That type of thread is not used much at all in this country , thats why I asked on here. Thats what my local smith tells me and my local shooting buddies.
Thanks very much again for your time.
All the best,
Axl

Rhodesian in UK Armed forces.
They stole my Farm, but not my African Spirit!

Posts: 42 | Location: Rhodesian in Wiltshire UK | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote