Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What could cause this?
 Login/Join

posted
I just started reloading last week after saying I was going to start reloading for the last 5 years. I've read about as much as one can read and watched about as much as one can watch on youtube when it comes to reloading.

Last week I loaded up my first rounds and went to the range to test. The test rounds went ok but they were not good enough to reliably cycle a Beretta PX4Storm.

When I got home and inspected the cases I noticed that they all had a similar "burn" mark on each case. It's on one side of the case and I was not sure this was normal for a reload since I have not seen it on a factory loaded case.

I am attaching a picture that shows what I am talking about, though it's probably not the best picture.

I was experimenting with a lighter load that my wife can shoot since she does not like shooting a factory 9mm load just for plinking.

This was my load.

124g Hornady HP-XTP (#35571) with 4.5 grains of Power Pistol on once fired brass with a Winchester WSP primer.

posted Hide Post
Forgot the image.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The charge was too low to obturate the case to the chamber wall. As you probably know Alliant recommends around 6.4 grains of that powder for a velocity of around 1157 fps

posted Hide Post
Since this is my first time reloading I thought I was start at the bottom of the recommended loads according to the reloading manual I have.

I am using the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition) and it showing 900fps@4.3gr to a maximum of 5.7g@1100fps for the #35571 bullet and Power Pistol powder.

My plan was to start at 4.5grains and work my way up to a load that's sufficient to cycle my wife's 9mm but not to the point where it's not fun to shoot.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
you could try a diffrent powder for less felt recoil at a max load.
800-X and longshot work at lower pressures with lcn bullets for the same velocity as the power pistol.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That load came from Alliant themselves for max. I like Unique, Bullseye, HP38 in my 9mm loads.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Use more powder or go to a faster burn rate. Bullseye is good for light target loads.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get the odd case like that from the wife's S & W M&P 9C
Real light 115 grain loads, 4.2 gr Titegroup.
Not even 2 % so I am close to the limit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Battleop
For that range of powder, while testing, load 5 each at 4.3, 4.7, 5.1, 5.5 and 5.7gr.
Take them to the range and do both accuracy and function at the same time.
Your looking for the charge that both provides acceptable accuracy and cycles the pistol reliably.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am going to try a 4.7 but 5.0 seems to be about right for her guns. I am going to have her try the 5.0s and load a few 4.7s to see if they cycle reliably.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`d follow Tailgunners advice and work the load up to the point it works the action reliably.
PowerPistol was developed just for the 9mm and is an excellent powder in the cartridge. It does however need a bit of pressure to burn properly

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You may still have powder residue on the outside of the case after your load cycles reliably. The two aren't necessarily connected. Other than getting dirty faster it shouldn't matter.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Power Pistol is a fine powder for "normal" loads. For a slightly reduced load one of the faster powders would work somewhat better and give you more shots per pound. If the goal is less recoil, a lighter bullet will make more differance than a lighter powder charge.

posted Hide Post
I got to thinking about that whole Newtons Law thing. It makes since that a lighter bullet would reduce recoil.