New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality of Different Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
O.K. guys, here is my question of the day. I have a set of old Pacific dies in 264 winmag that I bought used. they size the brass a couple of thousandths over factory though so the rounds don't feed smooth. I need to get new dies, the question is, what quality are the different brands?

Most of my dies are RCBS and I have no complaints or problems with any of them. I also have a couple of sets of Lee dies and am happy with them as well. But Midway doesn't have any RCBS sets in 264, just individual dies, unless I didn't look hard enough. They have Hornady, Forster, and Redding, any feedback on the quality of those?

Thanks guys,

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I also have alot of RCBS dies but when I look to something new I have been ordering from Redding. No to Hornady & Lee.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Try E-bay, go under RCBS for the biggest selection and try which ever brand you want to see if any or up for sale. Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
But Midway doesn't have any RCBS sets in 264, just individual dies, unless I didn't look hard enough.

You might try Graf & Sons to see what they can supply.

www.grafs.com

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Treat yourself to a set of Reddings. They're $5 more than RCBS, and can be adjusted by hand. You'll like them.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All us old curmudgeons have RCBS simply because they have served us well and they owned the field for many years and today the keep up and ahead with such novel things as small base dies, the great X die and so fourth....

I have inspected the Redding dies and they sure are well made and pretty too...

I'm not sold on the Hornady or lee dies...I like the C&H tool company that exist today, they make good stuff and at half the price...there web page is www.ch4d.com BTW

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW CH HAS A LOT OF DIES TO CHOOSE FROM.NEVER EVEN HEARD OF MOST OF THAT STUFF THEY HAD DIES FOR.