Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? 357 Maximum ?
 Login/Join

posted
I am getting ready now to hunt deer in Delaware this winter. I am going to use a Contender with a 12" hunter barrel in 357 Maximum. The load I plan to use is 25.5 grains of 1680, with a Hornady 180 grain SSP bullet and Federal 205M primers. I have been reloaded off and on for 25 years, this is the first time I have loaded 357 Maximum. Can you tell any thing about this load? Good, Bad or Ugly. Thanks Oldsnow.

Posts: 29 | Location: Dagsboro, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good load .
I would expect 1850 fps or so.
A tight crimp is a must .

To get the most from your gun I would use a scope.
I would sight it in with a 100 yd zero ,this will put the bullet about 4.5" low at 150 yds ( my max for this round )

Word of warning ,the 357 Max is loud ,the 1680 loads are REAL LOUD .
I recomend plugs or muffs

Most 357 Max barrels are picky ,for top accurey I load tested in .3 gr jumps ( 25.3 may be a tack driver load but 25.0 and 26.0 gr suck)

I use my 14" contender in 357 max for deer all the time with that bullet .
I have shot deer out to 130 yds + , never needed a second shot .
From my loading ,I found my barrel and others I talked to ,the 357 Max either likes min loads or near max to max loads.
The loads in the middle never produced usable accurey.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Johnch for the information. What brand of scope and what power are you useing?

Posts: 29 | Location: Dagsboro, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I use a 2-6 x 32 Bushnell Trophey.

I have used several for years .

Glad to help
Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
many years ago I had a .357 max contender. I hunted with it alot but never got a shot ! I am only posting beacuse I found a box of bullets I used in mine and it was very acurate, it was a 180 grain speer that was intended for the 35 remington. I used to to split some real dry fire woood once it was fun...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornaday .358 180gn. Interlock spire point in my Contender.This bullet is for single shot pistols.

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys this helped.
Oldsnow