New
Find
Notify
Tools

I had an accident today
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I accidentally found an outstanding load for my gun.

The farm manager where I shoot prairie dogs and pheasant hunt in Kansas called and asked me to bring him out some handloads for his .223.

I had a bunch of new brass prepped and plenty of 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and several cans of powder I'm not using so I looked in the Hodgdon manual and picked out H4198. I loaded up five safe loads and seated the bullet to the same depth as a 55 grain Remington factory load and tried them in my old 700BDL Varmint Special. They shot the tightest group that gun has fired in 30 years - under a quarter inch. I went back inside and loaded five more and fired them in my Savage 12. They went into one little hole that measures .3 outside to outside!
I'm going to see tomorrow if my dealer will take 9# of Reloader 10X in trade for H4198!

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on an excellent Randomly Picked Load. Amazing!

It would surprise me if the Dealer took the Powder back, but best of luck to you. The H4198 also does right well in my 444Mar.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey doc,

Cool!

There's some good newer powders out and they shoot real good, too but you can't do too much wrong in a .222 or .223 with IMR or H4198!

Wanna fill in a "random" Lottery Ticket for me this weekend?

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4198 was the accuracy powder for the .222 for decades.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

Good news for me too - I can get it in my parts.
Does this powder need to run at higher pressure for accuracy?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
No surprises here at all..

I use it among other weights..

RL 7, that they seem to be trying to phase out for Rl 10 is also a great 223 powder for accuracy..and velocity

as in the old standby H 322..especially with a charge of 25 grains with bullet weights from 40 to 55 grains..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have about 1500 rounds loaded up for my cz 527 with 4198, the best powder out of the 5 I tried when working up loads last summer.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...and the loads were...?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 4198s have ALWAYS been one of my accuracy powder favorites for the .223 Rem. Especially when using lighter (50gr. and under) bullets.

Welcome to the 4198 fan club, Dr D!

PS - Credit should also go the excellent 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
...and the loads were...?
Peter.

.223 Rem, Win case, WSR primers, 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, 22 grains H4198 (1/2 grain under max), seated to the same depth as a factory Rem 55 grain PSP.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote