THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Nosler 100 gr solid base bullets in 243 WSSM for deer?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler 100 gr solid base bullets in 243 WSSM for deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted
Has anyone used this bullet for deer or antelope?

Nosler solid base bullet

Usually use the partitions, but wondered how this bullet would perform on deer sized game.
Nosler pro-shop out of 100 gr. partitions but do have this bullet.

Would be loading @ about 3000 fps.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are excellent deer sized game bullets. They work really well in my std 243 Winchester.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are all I use in 6mm for deer. The solid base provides unexpected penetration and the conventional lead core provides excellent expansion and upset.

I hoarded enough from the days of their original production run to last me until they became available again directly from Nosler as a special production item, then I loaded up on them again. My understanding is that they are once again on production hiatus and are soon to be indefinately unavailable.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Started using them in the late '70's. Great deer bullet in the 243. Still mad at Nosler for discontinuing them. Looks like they are about to stop making them again. Stock up! I still have enough of the original that my grandkids should be in good shape. But I only buy Noslers when I have no other choice today.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, not only on performance, but availability problems as well. Just ordered 400 from the Nosler Pro Shop.

Nosler Pro Shop

Regards
hm

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It's a superb bullet and falls between the BT and Accubond in terminal performance. My favorites of the SBs are the 7mm 140 grainer & the 150 grainer in .30 caliber.

Like the Ballistic Tips, you'd have to work at it to come up with an inaccurate load.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Like the Ballistic Tips, you'd have to work at it to come up with an inaccurate load.

Glad to hear that; the accubond is great in my 338 WM and 375 H&H.

Currently using a 223 AR 15 for coyote control and often times a decent shot presents itself on a deer; felt a little under gunned for deer w/223 so built a 243 WSSM. Figure the solid base Nosler might do a number on either.

Regards,
hm

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
hm1996 wrote:
quote:
Figure the solid base Nosler might do a number on either

It should be a dandy, affording you a similar trajectory to your .223 while packing a good deal more punch at the payoff end.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote